Sam's 2017?

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Sams will be happening again and if so when will registration open? I know when I did a Sams event Michael McDearman said it will be back, but I have not heard much since. Since entry was early January last year I figured we would have heard something by now. We were lucky enough to qualify to advance from Des Moines but had to turn it down because something came up. Looking forward to doing our best to go further next year. I am one that likes to start planning my schedule early and want to work around Sams.

Yes, it will be back. I think Smithfield wants a bigger part of it as well

Id looks for registration early January again

Whether you like Smithfield products or not (I do) I think it's great that they want to sponsor more in the bbq arena. I'm all for a joint Sam's/Smithfield tour!

I think we're going to jump into Sam's for 2017, so I am anxiously awaiting the announcement of this.

maybe we can convince the KCBS to let SAMs host the registration on their servers. I have a feeling they're able to handle more traffic than what the KCBS is running.

I didn't compete in them last year, really can't say I missed it either!

Care to elaborate? I've never done one but considering it this year as a local contest is ~4-5 miles from my house. (Southaven)

I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me either way :shocked:

Anytime you have a 5 table contest, weird chit happens. If they were serious about it being about the cooks and a pure competition, they would have 4 tables, but that's above most of their pay grade.:sad:

Locals tend to be crazy. Seems like they somehow find a way to put the 6 people that hate BBQ on the same table. 6 teams get to avoid that table

Regionals are a who's who of your surrounding area, anything less than a 170 and you are going to be out of it

Finals is a blast. Treated fabulously. Much more laid back too in a way. Lots of money up for grabs. Teams from every corner of the US. Meet a lot of people you'd never have the opportunity too otherwise. Good folk abound

So is the biggest concern the 5 table judging? I can see the concern with that but how can you beat a $250 entry fee with $10,000 payout?

I haven't been in this game very long so I'm always interested in what the more tenured teams have to say.

You get a lot of inexperienced judges as the gatekeepers to move on to the next round... and if you hit that TOD.... More than likely no shot of advancing. Ive had success and have won some nice trophies and cash. Just not for me anymore. Instead of worrying so much about having master judges for the finals. They should make sure you dont have 4 judges at a table and its their first contest ever judging ...

You get a lot of inexperienced judges as the gatekeepers to move on to the next round... and if you hit that TOD.... More than likely no shot of advancing. Ive had success and have won some nice trophies and cash. Just not for me anymore. Instead of worrying so much about having master judges for the finals. They should make sure you dont have 4 judges at a table and its their first contest ever judging ...

I know early on, in more than one case, there were judges certified the day before in some sort of class.

So is the biggest concern the 5 table judging? I can see the concern with that but how can you beat a $250 entry fee with $10,000 payout?

I haven't been in this game very long so I'm always interested in what the more tenured teams have to say.

No reason not to especially with how close it is to you.

$$$ Is very top heavy- top 5 per category, Top 6 overall. Unless people start turning down the regional invitation, your entry fee into the next round is covered.
-Downside is you can have a pretty good contest and finish just out of the money

You don't have to sit through 8 contest organizers promoting their events

Contests are very structured and organized

The only tournament series in BBQ. Different feel than the XYZ County fair/Town days contests.

Kind of a feast or famine series. We have had our highest and lowest score as a KCBS team in the series. Gotta have your big boy pants on if things don't end up your way. I think that's why there is a lot of negativity towards the series.

No reason not to especially with how close it is to you.

$$$ Is very top heavy- top 5 per category, Top 6 overall. Unless people start turning down the regional invitation, your entry fee into the next round is covered.
-Downside is you can have a pretty good contest and finish just out of the money

I love those high dollar see through pieces of plastic that they give away for trophies.:shocked:

I've made a little money in them, but really don't think much of the atmosphere/structure, I really like the organizers that appreciate you coming, unlike Sam's where if you wasn't there they would have had another in your place.

I've had to use my generator at two of them, because their power wasn't reliable.

Table of angles are as deadly as the table of death, remember regional's at Madison,WI, one table had 15 of the top 5 calls?

Back