Larger cook help.

JustAbout

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the largest cook I've ever done. Normally I do a 5lb Boston butt and three racks of baby backs. That will generally feed five to eight people I usually have over with some leftovers. I've got twenty one guests coming over this Saturday and I need some help planning my cook times.

I want to do three 5lb butts and six racks of ribs. I'm concerned with how much time I need to plan for with the butts. I typically plan on 1.5 hours per pound and then add in two extra hours for firing up the smoker and some small unforeseen issues. How does adding two extra butts in the smoker affect cooking times?

I'm using a UDS and I typically cook somewhere between 250 and 275. Thanks in advanced for the advice.

JustAbout

Last edited:
The extra meat wont affect how fast the meat cooks. You might see a difference in how long it takes you to get to 250/275 since you'll have more meat, but otherwise everything will cook the same.

You cook time won't change. Get your UDS up to temp before putting on the meat. The extra mass will drop your temps initially but the UDS will rebound quickly.

Yep, I'll pile on and say that there will be little to no change in your cooking times.

Where you would run into an increase is if your increased the SIZE of each individual butt. But, as long as they are similar in size, weight and SHAPE(as you're used to) they will rock along at the same times as your usual cooks.

This goes for your ribs as well. Make sure they are similar in size weight and thickness. It'll save you a bit of fuss. If you can't then arrange the thinnest/smallest butts and ribs to where they are the easiest to get to and remove as you will be taking them out first.

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't think it would be drastic unless the size and shapes were different. It's been one of those Monday morning deals so I just wanted to make sure that I was thinking straight.

JustAbout

One thing I've learned is as long as you have good airflow in your cooker then the amount of cold meat doesn't matter. Just did 44 lbs in a tiny cooker and only took 5 1/2 hours.

If you don't have good airflow then you'll get bogged down and it takes forever trying to get up to temp.

Everyone else pretty much has you covered on the effects of the meat on the cooker, temps and such,... so I thought I'd just address the cook itself.:-D
Over the years I've kinda' gotten away from trying to guess-timate cooking times, I just make sure that the pit temps are right and then let the cook take care of itself from there since at the end of the day it's gonna be done when it's done anyway. With that said... I cook butts like I do brisket more or less and if I were in your situation I'd start the butts first, cook em' for about 4 hours with smoke and then wrap them (at which time I'd throw the ribs on) then as the butts finish the ribs will almost be ready to wrap (if you want to) and the ribs will finish cooking as the butts have a nice long rest.
When the ribs come off, your butts are rested and ready to pull or slice and everything will be done in about the same time frame.:wink:

Everyone else pretty much has you covered on the effects of the meat on the cooker, temps and such,... so I thought I'd just address the cook itself.:-D
Over the years I've kinda' gotten away from trying to guess-timate cooking times, I just make sure that the pit temps are right and then let the cook take care of itself from there since at the end of the day it's gonna be done when it's done anyway. With that said... I cook butts like I do brisket more or less and if I were in your situation I'd start the butts first, cook em' for about 4 hours with smoke and then wrap them (at which time I'd throw the ribs on) then as the butts finish the ribs will almost be ready to wrap (if you want to) and the ribs will finish cooking as the butts have a nice long rest.
When the ribs come off, your butts are rested and ready to pull or slice and everything will be done in about the same time frame.:wink:

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had enough room to put all the ribs in at the same time. Unfortunately, I'll have to do three racks in the morning then the other three will go on after the first ones have finished because space is limited at the moment. Hmmmm...guess that means I need another cooker :becky:.

But I do plan on letting the butts rest in a slightly warmed cooler before they are pulled. I'm also planning on trying some finishing sauces for the first time as well on two of the butts.

Thanks,
JustAbout

I'm also planning on trying some finishing sauces for the first time as well on two of the butts.

Thanks,
JustAbout

Give them folks up there in clogging country a splash of vinegar and red pepper and let'em have at it! Were you planning on making your own or picking up a few bottles at the store?

I was planning on making my own. One will be vinegar based and the second one I haven't decided on yet. I'm wanting to do something with the rendering off of the butts for the second. But I've not settled on a recipe yet.

JustAbout

Keith's famous PP finishing and dipping sauce. I used to mix half in the pull but I dropped it down to 30%...just seems to be a better balance. Plenty of leftover for spooning on sammies or as a base to make your own BBQ sauce with.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

Back