A shorty convert

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Since we eat mostly chicken and pork, I hadn't given much thought to beef ribs until reading the postings here. Thought I would give them a try, but hadn't been able to find any this summer. Went to the local market Saturday and there was one package, with four medium shorties, so snapped it up. Put it on Sunday afternoon with just S&P in the Primo. Used RO and a bit of oak. Averaged 250 for a few hours until the internal hit 195, with no peeking til they were done. HOLY CRAP! They were moist, tender, a perfect bark, and the best piece of beef I've had in a long time. They looked just like all the others I've seen posted, so won't bore you with more pics of the same. I've already made up my mind to get more even if I have to special order from a butcher. Just one question though, is there a particular "cut" of beef ribs to ask for that has more meat? Thanks in advance for your input!

Yessir, they can be terrific, sounds like you got it right.

You want beef plate or beef chuck ribs. Beef back ribs are almost always very heavily trimmed with little meat

not cool. no pics!

When I first started bbq'n I hated pork ribs. I refused to eat them. I only ate beef ribs. When I went to my first rib festival in Sparks Nevada in 1992 I looked everywhere and found only one spot that was selling beef ribs. Needless to say, I've changed and stick to st louis these days but a good rack of beef ribs is a very nice change up when done right!

Back