Am I too fat for beef jerky?

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wait, what? Why would you say that? I'm totally in shape - round is the most rudimentary of shapes!

As I said, is there too much fat here? It's my second time making jerky; the first time was top round, and there was no visible marbling in the meat; I trimmed what little was on the edges. But this - hmm. It's bottom round, and my butcher, who is awesome, said it would work fine. But I know fat is to be avoided - is this going to be ok?

He did tell me to cut out that line of fat that runs across it - and I did, but it seems like there's just as much fat throughout the meat! I covet your wisdom!

Wait, what? Why would you say that? I'm totally in shape - round is the most rudimentary of shapes!

As I said, is there too much fat here? It's my second time making jerky; the first time was top round, and there was no visible marbling in the meat; I trimmed what little was on the edges. But this - hmm. It's bottom round, and my butcher, who is awesome, said it would work fine. But I know fat is to be avoided - is this going to be ok?

He did tell me to cut out that line of fat that runs across it - and I did, but it seems like there's just as much fat throughout the meat! I covet your wisdom!

Honestly I would just cut the line of fat that runs across it and make the jerky! To much fat will ruin your jerky but this looks to be fine! I've used meat like this before. I think the biggest problem with Fat is if its large fat pieces. I dont think a little marbling would hurt

Thank you for the photo and thread, looking to experiment with this myself. Local Publix has bottom round on sale this week.

Remove what you can and give it a try...

Too much fat can cause rancidity even when cured.

I prefer to use they eye round, remove the outer fat and you are good to go...

I use eye of round almost exclusively as well. I have used meat that looks just like the pic though, and it worked just fine.

You'll be ok with that, though it does look well marbled, it will cure out. I haven't used bottom round for jerky, I'm sold on London Broil/ top of round only.

I do a lot of jerky. Eye of round is my go to meat because it's lean and cheap. I buy it by the case at Restaurant Depot. Regarding your pic...like others have said, cut the fat vein out. Most of the small fat marbling pockets will render out during your smoking or dehydration. You might mop with a paper towel during your cook. Any noticeable pockets left over after processing/cooking can be cut out with scissors.
Enjoy!

I use the sliced beef clod heart from Cash and Carry. Fairly lean with some fat that we pull off from the individual slices when we can get to it, but it never last long enough to turn bad. :)

Back