• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone use a tube smoker in their pellet pooper?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I love my RecTec but I do notice less smoke flavor than I get on my UDS (this is actually a plus for my wife).

For those of you who cook regularly on a pellet cooker, do you supplement smoke with a tube smoker like A-Maze-N smoker tube, or are you simply OK with the amount of smoke you get?

What about starting at 225 for a while to get that smoke flavor going before ramping up the temps (where the smoke seems much lighter)?

I smoke with a MakGrill. I have used the smoker tube but for the most part if I want more smoke then I will keep the temp around 180 and smoke for longer periods. And believe me I have over smoked some meats. ;}

Smitty's question is a fair one. I am actually fine with it as is, but I know a lot of people like heavier smoke taste.

I think the answer is that I have more time to cook when I use a cooker that doesn't require as much monitoring. So I get to cook more often, which for me is a great thing. I know many people say that they can get their offset or UDS locked in and not have to monitor it much at all. I never could quite get to that level, and my RecTec gives me more predictability than I got with other cookers.

Hard to argue with the convenience of dialing in your temp and pressing "go". If you are just looking to add to the smoke you are already getting with the pellets- you might not need much more. One of the cheap stainless steel smoker boxes at Lowes or HD and a handful of chips may be just the ticket.

I have the original Treager 075 round body, bought it first year it was offered. I upgraded to the first savanna stoker.

I'm happy with the smoke flavor. I found that 182 degrees for an hour gives me all the smoke flavor I want on ribs, butts, and brisket. After an hour up it to whatever temp you like to cook at.

I've got the 6" Amazin tube, used mainly for sausage and fish in the coverted fridge smoker. I've tried it a few time in the pellet cooker, and didn't notice much if any difference.

I have used the 12" tube when I fired up the Traeger (have not taken the cover off since the KAT was delivered). I liked to run it @ 250* or more for the entire cook so the tube added some extra flavor. Just make sure you get it started with a torch and let it burn for awhile before tossing it in and closing the cover.

I found that at the higher temps, smoke flavor was just not where I wanted it on the pellet pooper...

Don't pay much attention to those guys their just ribbin' you. I do have a Traeger and a s/s smoke box. Worthless. Even right on top of the firebox it never gets hot enough to make smoke. Doing lime marinated thighs and drums for tonight.

sometimes i line up three or four chunks end to end right on top of the pellet auger of my traeger with about one inch of the first one hanging over the fire pot, then just smoke as usual. this amps up the smoke flavor.

I have a Yoder and an A-Maze-N smoker tube, but I only use the tube for lower temp smokes. And by low temp, I mean below 175. I find that the amount of smoke the Yoder produces at 225-250 is perfect for my tastes. I got the tube to do a cold smoke for cheese and other low temp smoking.

Don't pay much attention to those guys their just ribbin' you.

I have nothing against pellet smokers...
would ike to have one someday. I just lose my appetite every time I see a reference to pellet pooper!

I'll use the amazen tube smoker every now and then on high temp cooks since the smoke seems to be reduced at higher temps.

Usually, if I want extra smoke I'll just do a two stage smoke, 180 for a few hours then bump up to whatever temp I'm cooking at.

Sombody oughta make better pellets.............

I know you don't use one of these gadgets, so that sounds like the answer-- but it is not.

By design, a pellet cooker cannot produce adequate beneficial smoke, unless you change the fuel from pellets.

As for ancillary smoke generators; they, by design, produce smoldering chips or pellets that clearly produce poor smoke.

It's a shortcut that can't duplicate a stick burner.

I think I've tried every smoke generator out there all with less than satisfactory results. The only thing that was good about the amazen tube was that I was able to repurpose it. With little effort I was able to make a paper towel holder out of it.

Who does not like a good Pooper?

You know you do!

Back