A need to build

Lowki

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
i would like to build a smoker. Preferably an RF offset (think lang) possibly with a warming cabinet. I have been pouring over other builds from this and many other sites/forums and believe i have a good idea of what i want. However, i am a novice at nearly all the skills involved, including how to reliably price this build and weld. I need advice on what welder in my price range (which is not much) would be best, stick or fluxed core? how do i price the materials (i.e. steel and hardware) accurately? Along with any other advice that might benefit myself or others that find this and are in the same situation. I can smoke meat, have built several UDS and had a COS and old fatboy that was heavily modified, i just really dont know where to start with this. I am in no hurry and not afraid to take longer and put more work in to save a dime or two. Mostly I need a distraction/project and love to smoke so i figure this was just a natural evolution. Thanks in advance for guidance or help.

I would probably start with flux core and grinder, I believe the learning curve is easier but still a lot of practice welding and grinding to get results you will be happy with

I'd get a stick welder like a Lincoln 1297 Ac/Dc. much more versatile than wire feed. Don't cheap out and pay attention to the duty cycle higher cycles cost more but keep the machine from shutting down on you. I recommend you go take a welding class first, Community Colleges & some HS have advanced adult Edu classes in the evenings for little money.
Decide on how big you want the pit to be, draw it all out with your measurements and do a build sheet. Include every piece and type of steel add up the measurements for each. This will give you the amount of material needed per type add 10 % to each. Then start pricing it out from different sources to get the best price on each. If you have a Scrap metal yard locally you can get some good deals.

I have absolutely no skills or advice but can you please post pics as you go forward so I can learn a little too? Good luck!

Thanks, speaking of steel, i am wondering if a firebox built out of 3/16 wrapped in rock wool and covered in 1/8 will work? or would i need to dbl. up the 3/16 on the bottom of the box for longevity? or is 1/8 just too thin?

I have absolutely no skills or advice but can you please post pics as you go forward so I can learn a little too? Good luck!
will do, but like i said i am in no hurry, so they be a long time coming.

I'd get a stick welder like a Lincoln 1297 Ac/Dc. much more versatile than wire feed. Don't cheap out and pay attention to the duty cycle higher cycles cost more but keep the machine from shutting down on you. I recommend you go take a welding class first, Community Colleges & some HS have advanced adult Edu classes in the evenings for little money.
Decide on how big you want the pit to be, draw it all out with your measurements and do a build sheet. Include every piece and type of steel add up the measurements for each. This will give you the amount of material needed per type add 10 % to each. Then start pricing it out from different sources to get the best price on each. If you have a Scrap metal yard locally you can get some good deals.
Do you know of any welder that will do the job i can run on a regular household 110v on a 20 amp? i do not have 220v in my shop. Or is it worth it to look into having 220 run to the building?

Gentlemen,
i would like to build a smoker. Preferably an RF offset (think lang) possibly with a warming cabinet. I have been pouring over other builds from this and many other sites/forums and believe i have a good idea of what i want. However, i am a novice at nearly all the skills involved, including how to reliably price this build and weld. I need advice on what welder in my price range (which is not much) would be best, stick or fluxed core? how do i price the materials (i.e. steel and hardware) accurately? Along with any other advice that might benefit myself or others that find this and are in the same situation. I can smoke meat, have built several UDS and had a COS and old fatboy that was heavily modified, i just really dont know where to start with this. I am in no hurry and not afraid to take longer and put more work in to save a dime or two. Mostly I need a distraction/project and love to smoke so i figure this was just a natural evolution. Thanks in advance for guidance or help.

UPDATE:
Well folks, my woman has stated that I am prone to injury and she would be less than happy with me should i attempt to build a smoker (and in so doing get myself dead) in my yard with our 18 mo. old daughter running around. So we compromised, i will buy a lang. Will not be the size i want, and i will not have the fun of building it, but the "happy wife, happy life" maxim would seem to apply here. Thank you for all the advice Bludawg, i will use in the future. Happy Smokes.

Last edited:
Back