Chicago 9/11 and 12

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am headed to Chicago with my brother on September 11th for a football game at Northern Illinois. My brother told me we would head to the Purple Pig restaurant, he currently lives in Saudi Arabia and when he gets out it's all pork all of the time. I was expecting it to be Q but it’s not, looks fancy. I was at a "do" Sunday based on charcuterie and was disappointed. I was expecting sausages and stuff but got duck prosciutto...

I've never been there but I have heard great things! The chefs are among the best in Chicago. Take a look at their bios on the web site.

I'd love some duck prosciutto. Smoque in Chicago is fantastic. I recommend it. Heading out west to DeKalb, not sure about BBQ. But, there is a fried chicken place in Ladd called Rip's Tavern that has the best fried chicken in the world.

It was good but I was hoping for homemade sausages and such. I was not into the head cheese, I think it's the name. reminds me of smegma :hand: All the lovely and talented MrsAkoda ate was cauliflower

I'd love some duck prosciutto. Smoque in Chicago is fantastic. I recommend it. Heading out west to DeKalb, not sure about BBQ. But, there is a fried chicken place in Ladd called Rip's Tavern that has the best fried chicken in the world.

Purple Pig is pretty good. I had a nice meal there last year. It's a small plates kind of place that you are expected to share. Publican is nice too with a similar concept.

Chicago has a bunch of good places to eat and lots of ethnic.

Any idea where you'll be staying yet?

Northern IL Campus is much closer to Ron, me, ITBFQ than Purple Pig.

Although Mark mentions a contest going on the next day, maybe we could set up something else to go along with your stay.

Make sure to go up the Willis Tower (the building formerly known as the Sears Tower) and stand on the glass ledge. There is a good pizza place about 2 blocks away. Get a Italian Beef combo sammie. Portillos is good but Scottie knows where the best are. Enjoy the traffic! :thumb:

It doesn't look like anything open to the public at the BBQ Classic on Friday, we'll be at the game on Satuday when it's going on

the three places I try take visitors looking for Chicago food are
- Gino's East for deep dish
- Mr. Beef on Orleans for Italian beef
- Weiners Circle late night (warning : NSFW language...) : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaxqKummywM[/ame]

Since you'll be staying downtown. Chicago q is fairly close by. Lee Ann Whippen's place, pretty good stuff. Great bourbon selection.

Also I think the John Hancock has a better view than the Sears Tower. But if I take people there, I skip the observation deck and take them to the bar at the 95th floor. Same great view, and you get to enjoy an over priced cocktail for the same price as admission to the observation deck one floor above.

Thanks, that menu is a little more my style, and I love bourbon :)

Since you'll be staying downtown. Chicago q is fairly close by. Lee Ann Whippen's place, pretty good stuff. Great bourbon selection.

Also I think the John Hancock has a better view than the Sears Tower. But if I take people there, I skip the observation deck and take them to the bar at the 95th floor. Same great view, and you get to enjoy an over priced cocktail for the same price as admission to the observation deck one floor above.

Is the weber restaurant worth a visit? Since I am a weber junky and all, maybe lunch?

It's cool to see the custom ranch kettles all fired up, and their burgers are good, but skip the BBQ.

Back