Barbecued Pork vs. Pork Barbecue

I've never barbecued a noun. Do you foil it?

:becky:

Around here there are at least two definitions of barbecue as a noun...

1. I am going to a barbecue, meaning a gathering where food is cooked outdoors and is typically held outdoors

2. I am going to eat some barbecue, meaning just about anything with barbecue sauce on it. The general population doesn't make a distinction between grilling and smoking (or barbecuing). They think of anything with barbecue sauce on it as barbecue.

And...

Is it "barbecue" or "barbeque"? :twisted:

This was my understanding of barbecue growing up in the south suburbs of Chicago. It was either grilling -- always dogs, burgers, or the occasional steak if you were a rich north sider -- or anything that involved barbecue sauce. Don't think I actually experienced barbecue as I now know it until visiting my brother in Mississippi, ordering a pulled pork sandwich, and they asked if I wanted slaw ON it. :shocked: Totally offended my midwestern sensibilities at the time.

Well, to be fair, above the Mason-Dixon Line are the states that aren't known for their barbecue. In fact, in the 1800's, a barbecue above the Mason-Dixon was a strange event that required Southerners to cook it and a lot of explanation in the newspapers for Northerners to understand it. So, I'm thinking that people in the Northern states may not be the best people to go to for a definition of barbecue.

Well, to be fair, above the Mason-Dixon Line are the states that aren't known for their barbecue. In fact, in the 1800's, a barbecue above the Mason-Dixon was a strange event that required Southerners to cook it and a lot of explanation in the newspapers for Northerners to understand it. So, I'm thinking that people in the Northern states may not be the best people to go to for a definition of barbecue.

Harrumf, harrumf, harrumf! (Blazing Saddles mod)

Harrumf, harrumf, harrumf! (Blazing Saddles mod)

Now, don't get me wrong, PA has had a lot of barbecues and some of them are quite historic including some of the first barbecues to celebrate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

Around here whether you're going to a barbecue, or barbecuing dinner or eating barbecue, there's an 80% chance it will be a gas grill. Really.

Why is this so difficult? If you put BBQ sauce on it, it is BBQ. If you live in North Carolina and your only meat available is pork, you call that BBQ. Duh!!

Dang man, this is the worst threads ever - a total waste of time. I mean why do all this work trying to figure it out. Just have a few beers and listen to the video below. :) Just kididng...but do listen. You're probably aware of the song...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

How can you take anyone seriously who fails to mention Missouri in any discussion of BBQ?

Forget all this prancing around how to define what is BBQ.

Here it is, cheap, tough meat cooked slowly so's to produce a tender succulent flavorful main dish. Old beeves (oxen), whole hogs, shoulders/butts, ribs, briskets, goats, mutton and yes, even chickens, (ever eaten a laying hen or cock that got too old to perform? They can be pretty tough if not cooked slowly.)

Smoke? Yes please, whether it's from fat dripping into the open pit or from wood in a closed or both is irrelevant. Dry rub, wet rub/marinade mop, sauce or not is just as irrelevant to whether it's BBQ or not.

Live fire used to cook cheap, tough meat to perfection is BBQ. Braising, roasting, broiling, grilling, sous vide and crockpottery may make a really good product, it's just not BBQ!

Asmodeus

Yeah, the meat with BBQ sauce on it being called barbecue is an often heard claim. We have been able to buy "barbecued" rotisserie chickens in my town for as long as I can remember. All they do is pour BBQ sauce over a rotisserie chicken and call it barbecue chicken.

A few years ago a guy on another forum bragged about his "prize winnin' BBQ Rib Recipe"! I carefully pried it out of him.

It started, "Preheat your oven to 475ÂşF and place your ribs in a pot with a tight fitting lid." He finished his ribs for 15 minutes on his weber to give 'em that smokey flavor and to caramelize the sauce, which couldn't be done any other way.

Another forum poster pointed out that even though he was from Japan, even he knew that wasn't BBQ!

Much hilarity ensued.

Asmodeus

I knew someone who cooked a pork butt in their oven then finished it off on a weber with an hour of smoke..

Here in nearly Antebellum Tidewater Virginia, you go to a BBQ, that is a whole pig cooked with fire, surrounded by a party. BBQ is pork pulled or minced(slow cooked with wood) with little or no sauce. Sliced BBQ can also be had. Other meats and methods are BBQ ribs, BBQ beef, ect.
Hot dogs, steaks, hamburgers are grilled, when at a party it is a cookout.

Later,
Doug

Last edited:
I knew someone who cooked a pork butt in their oven then finished it off on a weber with an hour of smoke..

That's backwards...

I've finished plenty of Q in my oven, when the weather turned bad or I ran out of charcoal or I had to leave the house for a while and didn't want a fire running. But the smoke goes on *first*, otherwise you get no smoke ring. Everybody knows that.

It would be like trying to get the folks from Lizella GA to stop using the double negatives; wont happen and only will piss everyone off... But, it doesn't make it correct.

Ya'll ain't never gonna get no Georgian to stop not puttin' in them negatives in them there sentences.

That's backwards...

I've finished plenty of Q in my oven, when the weather turned bad or I ran out of charcoal or I had to leave the house for a while and didn't want a fire running. But the smoke goes on *first*, otherwise you get no smoke ring. Everybody knows that.

You're telling me :shock: you could taste a little smoke but... meh. Didn't work really

Some pichers ain't not never need no words.

Did I do good? :-o

FTFY. :thumb:

Virginians. :tsk: May just as well be Canadian. What do y'all know? :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Ya'll ain't never gonna get no Georgian to stop not puttin' in them negatives in them there sentences.

Y'all gone an' went to the same damn public school I did, ain'tcha? :becky:

Actually, there is correct and there is incorrect, and just because you grew up using it incorrectly doesn't make it defacto correct. For example, it's normal around here to use double negatives to mean a negative. Doesn't make it correct; bad english and bad logic is just that. Luckily we know what is the intent, normally.

I'm trying to follow what you're saying. So you're saying there is a "correct"/absolute definition of barbecue when it is used as a noun?

I think we need official designations. In my opinion (and no one has paid me a red cent for it, I know! :-D), this is the truth of the whole matter... period... sort of! :-D

BARBECUING
"Barbecue" should be defined as food that has been cooked on a grill or smoker, with charcoal and/or wood. There are two methods of barbecuing food, one is "direct", the other is "indirect".

Now, here is where I know I am going to cause some trouble, and I should just zip it :icon_shy... but I ain't gonna do that! :grin:

GRILLING
"Grilling" should be defined as food that has been cooked on an indoor or outdoor griddle, with propane, or electricity. If wood is used for flavoring, the food should be considered "smoked" or flavored with smoke, but not "barbecued". The "direct" and "indirect" approaches are available for grilling.

Now, exuse me while I slip out the back door before someone beats the chit out of me! :lol: :boxing:

I refuse to get hung up on semantics..potato po-tat-o....over coals, under coals, distance from coals, indirect, direct, real fire or charcoal.

I just can't include electric and gas cookers in the equation even though they can be made to taste good.

The definition of BBQ is subjective and will never be standardized. JMO

Do i need to say more?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ybdKTxv5A"]Subway Applewood Pulled Pork Commercial 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Back