offset with gravity fed system??

DR

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Maybe there is something like this out there but i haven't seen one yet (Stumps might make one but I'm not sure) but why do we not see a RF offset with a gravity feed system on the competition circuit? This combines the best of both worlds for competition for those of us that want to use offset pits. Fire management would be better for those all night competition cooks.

What am i missing?

Tommy Houston of Checkered Pig has one Randall's hybrid units for home use. I talked to his teammate and he said he's happy with it and if you had any questions to ping Tommy on Facebook. Tommy is one of the nicest dudes I've ever met.

I'm guessing more companies may be coming out with duel/hybrid fuel units in the future. I have seen and heard of folks using charcoal in Jambos and other offsets once they've wrapped their meats.

Pitmaker in Texas makes one

I know they have made one in the past but i don't see a model on their site. I spoke to the guy that they made it for and he spoke very highly of it. Its on their FB page but doesn't look like they make one and sell it on a regular basis.

I know they have made one in the past but i don't see a model on their site. I spoke to the guy that they made it for and he spoke very highly of it. Its on their FB page but doesn't look like they make one and sell it on a regular basis.

Would that be Doug - Ribs Within? I know it was custom, not stock

Stumps has the horizontal gravity fed line. They don't seem to be nearly as popular for comp teams as the vertical line.

Stumps reverse flow gravity feed is the Platinum line of cookers. Size and weight may be a factor in why you don't see a lot in the comp scene. I built a half azzed copy and I am sorry to this day I sold it.

Would that be Doug - Ribs Within? I know it was custom, not stock

Yes sir. It sure was Doug. Very nice guy and very willing to chat. He is still trying to figure it all out but all in all he loves it. He kept the original fire box to use logs and then added the gravity fed system to the other end. Its pretty interesting. I would rather have the gravity system on top of the original fire box though.

Stumps reverse flow gravity feed is the Platinum line of cookers. Size and weight may be a factor in why you don't see a lot in the comp scene. I built a half azzed copy and I am sorry to this day I sold it.

I wasn't being critical of them and I would agree that size and weight make them less attractive to comp teams than the verticals. While the horizontal design may be optimal or necessary for a stick burner, I don't think it has a big advantage for a gravity fed charcoal pit.

Maybe there is something like this out there but i haven't seen one yet (Stumps might make one but I'm not sure) but why do we not see a RF offset with a gravity feed system on the competition circuit? This combines the best of both worlds for competition for those of us that want to use offset pits. Fire management would be better for those all night competition cooks.

What am i missing?

While not gravity fed, the Peoria Meat Monster is an example of offset with a long burn efficient design. You do see these occasionally at comps, most notably - Quau.

Yes sir. It sure was Doug. Very nice guy and very willing to chat. He is still trying to figure it all out but all in all he loves it. He kept the original fire box to use logs and then added the gravity fed system to the other end. Its pretty interesting. I would rather have the gravity system on top of the original fire box though.

Doug? Willing to chat? No way! Lol! I know Doug very well and have played with his Pitmaker. Yes, he has a lot of options with that and agree, I would want the gravity fed on same side as firebox to run reverse flow

I was actually thinking about this last night. I wanted to design something like this and have it built for me to use for comps. I have a few ideas in my head.

Doug? Willing to chat? No way! Lol! I know Doug very well and have played with his Pitmaker. Yes, he has a lot of options with that and agree, I would want the gravity fed on same side as firebox to run reverse flow

LOLOLOL Yes. He is very happy to talk about BBQ and very through in explaining everything. :mrgreen:

I was actually thinking about this last night. I wanted to design something like this and have it built for me to use for comps. I have a few ideas in my head.

Go to pitmakers Facebook page and its on the right hand side of the home page and its down a ways. You can definitely see the gravity system on the left end of the pit and the original firebox on the right end.

Go to pitmakers Facebook page and its on the right hand side of the home page and its down a ways. You can definitely see the gravity system on the left end of the pit and the original firebox on the right end.

Thats not a bad looking smoker, but I've got some ideas of having the gravity fed on the same side of the firebox. Just have to think about it a little more.

https://www.facebook.com/BBQ.Pits.by.Pitmaker/media_set?set=a.10200932742320124&type=1

793705_10200932630437327_1264965607_o.jpg

Back