• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

kumado

bbqfitter

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have experience with the char-griller akorn kumado I looked at the other brands but out of my price range and these get decent reviews. The wife kinda likes the things you can do with these style cookers.

Thanks Ron

They are pretty neat cookers. They don't need a lot of air flow to get really hot, so it is a learning curve to dialing it in and not overshoot the temp you are trying for. I use mine a lot for cooking direct and it turns out amazing chicken and pork tenderloins or chops in about 20 minutes. The raised grate is handy for if you get a good sear but need a little more cooking time.

If using for smoking and using the ceramic deflector I prefer to let it ride at 300 rather than try to choke the air down more. My experience if I want anything lower than 275 have to switch from lump to briquettes.

There is a learning curve with the intake and exhaust settings, and you can't open it every hour on those long cooks if you want to keep the temps down. But it can turn out some pretty awesome food.

I have an akorn.

Great cooker. Super efficient, versatile. It can do everything a $1000 ceramic and wont crack on ya.

I've had my Akorn for 2 years and love it. As smoke ninja said above, it is a versatile piece of equipment. You can do an awful lot with them. You can smoke and grill with them, everything from burgers to fish to chicken to brisket and pork butt. You can also cook pizzas on them since they can hit 600+ with no problem. I suggest you search for 'Akorn' in the forum search at the bottom and you will find a wealth of information. If you get one, learn how to patiently bring it up to your target temperature and you will be fine.

I LOVE my Akorn - checkout Kamadoguru.com - lots of Akorn users/info there 8)

Lots of good things about the Akorn. It does have some draw backs but for the price it's killer. I bought mine last year.

Pros: inexpensive, fuel efficient, very versatile (grill smoke bake with ease) As long as you care for it it will last.
Cons: difficult to get a smoke ring, you have to make sure no water gets in it to avoid rust, it's insulated so if you overshoot temps it takes 30-1hr to get it back down, most are not sealed well out of the box (simple mods can fix)

Here's some pronz from mine:

Ribs I did yesterday:

Pizza:

I added a thermoworks chef alarm to manage the grate temp the magnets hold it on so its pretty convienient:

Had mine around 5 years now and I still enjoy it. It's a great all around griller/smoker without breaking the bank.

I have chatted with MANY Akorn owners... don't think I've met a single one that wasn't thrilled with what comes off of it!!

IMO, they are a wonderful introduction into the world of kamado cooking. In fact, many buy and cook on their Akorns, never moving up to ceramic.

From my experience, the 3 biggest advantages of a ceramic kamado are:

1) Better temp stability
2) No rust
3) Will last your lifetime

With that said though, the Akorn has it's own advantages:

1) Much less $$
2) Easier to move around
3) Can't crack (although a quality ceramic kamado will have a lifetime warranty against cracked ceramic -- of course that doesn't cover user error...LOL)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what if any difference there is between the actual cooker body on the unit Decoy has pictured above (configured like a Performer cart), and the other ones with two small wing tables? It looks like you can get the cart style for $279 at Home Despot right now, and the others seem to average ~$350. Size, materials, build quality?

Does anyone know what if any difference there is between the actual cooker body on the unit Decoy has pictured above (configured like a Performer cart), and the other ones with two small wing tables? It looks like you can get the cart style for $279 at Home Despot right now, and the others seem to average ~$350. Size, materials, build quality?

It's the same thing dimension wise, but with a cart or two wing tables. Whichever is your preference.

It's the same thing dimension wise, but with a cart or two wing tables. Whichever is your preference.

Yep the cooker is the same size. The non carts usually come in black and red and the cart is only Grey. People have said the lid hinge is better on the cart but I'm not 100% sure about it. My hinge seems to be holding up fine so far (knock on wood)

I owned an Akorn for about 2 weeks the other year, but had a chance to move up to the Vision kamado for the same price (Costco clearance). Otherwise, I would have kept the Akorn and I am sure I would have been very pleased with it. Rwalters pretty much hit it on the head. You will be happy with one. Great intro to Kamado and to smoking.

Yep the cooker is the same size. The non carts usually come in black and red and the cart is only Grey. People have said the lid hinge is better on the cart but I'm not 100% sure about it. My hinge seems to be holding up fine so far (knock on wood)

I think the ash pan is built better on the newer models from what I've heard.

For about a $100 more you can get a Vision Classic B. I love using my Vision for smaller cooks! They started out at $599 last year and at the end if the season I purchased for $439.......week later dropped down to $399. I've heard good things about the acorn as well.

I've had my Akorn for 4 years and it's still in great condition. It's the cooker that got me into BBQ.

I have two and have had no issues with either one. They are my primary BBQ devices. I do Boston butt slow overnight cooks that turn out great. For excellent pizza I put a pizza stone on the top dome rack where the heat collects and reflects back down onto the pizza.

pawoLWjfXDX0lX12kX8Ec1Cn4NXaEW13lR82bDBq2fI02G5gy_KIhpMBLc5_2UdyOf-uUcg1cqTGdh19H4R36DQfDTI-_Wb0wHu8g6kC5ASsFLVZF5So6DvOoAvt_RoqjralBVLYekhUQ1Ly2ZH__A8NqvHSa2cDxgzbozTbRENLEkn7vYPW3mgFeaZPC0zKEif5CgzZNXiaKiGv5dJstl9Tj9y5-GrECZ7GgBLEpYjMaHcDq5B-dPDf3iQYd-084LpTwmG03USsPFOmOG4fSUmU8J1k7jE9HD5HfEbw-Szz-i20K-J-PrN-PI6iPFsjfuN0q1CCEHC53uQ8foieX1P46OIxpbnkAjX1gBGbD4JBKSdLvQ4hu78AbLhvI04iwoHV6jhvDqU_mRNrgbnmhx6beKzgr4xTz7ZZIdJXPU1ZAIHIV2eueB_BJgeO6rtBuo4GLX2Q7uqZwc-pCFCMR6vb6ZnnEkQPE5gRl5cxULs62KmS4742HeHALQltEm3AFdydw01ZdKr0Ksjx-dHa-RoJt26_xW0WgTD5WveHGe-Wlgd-P_aernk7derKpUE49eOg6w=w692-h923-no

I have two and have had no issues with either one. They are my primary BBQ devices. I do Boston butt slow overnight cooks that turn out great. For excellent pizza I put a pizza stone on the top dome rack where the heat collects and reflects back down onto the pizza.

pawoLWjfXDX0lX12kX8Ec1Cn4NXaEW13lR82bDBq2fI02G5gy_KIhpMBLc5_2UdyOf-uUcg1cqTGdh19H4R36DQfDTI-_Wb0wHu8g6kC5ASsFLVZF5So6DvOoAvt_RoqjralBVLYekhUQ1Ly2ZH__A8NqvHSa2cDxgzbozTbRENLEkn7vYPW3mgFeaZPC0zKEif5CgzZNXiaKiGv5dJstl9Tj9y5-GrECZ7GgBLEpYjMaHcDq5B-dPDf3iQYd-084LpTwmG03USsPFOmOG4fSUmU8J1k7jE9HD5HfEbw-Szz-i20K-J-PrN-PI6iPFsjfuN0q1CCEHC53uQ8foieX1P46OIxpbnkAjX1gBGbD4JBKSdLvQ4hu78AbLhvI04iwoHV6jhvDqU_mRNrgbnmhx6beKzgr4xTz7ZZIdJXPU1ZAIHIV2eueB_BJgeO6rtBuo4GLX2Q7uqZwc-pCFCMR6vb6ZnnEkQPE5gRl5cxULs62KmS4742HeHALQltEm3AFdydw01ZdKr0Ksjx-dHa-RoJt26_xW0WgTD5WveHGe-Wlgd-P_aernk7derKpUE49eOg6w=w692-h923-no
That pizza is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!

It is important to cover the akorn and clean the ashes out the pan.

Water can get down inside the ash pan. With a little care it should last a long time

These are awesome smokers/cookers. I have had mine for about 3 years now and love the versatility of it. Like any other grill a little car will greatly expend the life of it. Plus plenty of mods to do if you get the itch.:thumb:

Back