THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey guys. I really didn't feel like hijacking another thread to get the questions answered.

I guess we decided to cook thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, Just be easier to get family together due to work schedules and what not!

I'm planning on smoking my turkey on a WSM 18.5 with a few hickory wood chunks. They are smaller than fist size so probably 4-5 chunks. (Ran out of apple and waiting for a wood guy to bring me some). It's a 24lb "enhanced" turkey So I'm not going to brine it. Gonna use the water pan in the WSM.

The only rubs I have in the house is chicken/rib seasoning and apple wood rub. I wanna make more of a "Traditional" style/flavor turkey. Is this possible? Salt, pepper, garlic, butter??

Is there a proper way to collect the broth? My grandma helps with the thanksgiving dinner and she asked if there was a way I could save some broth for her other dishes. (another reason why I didn't want to use something like apple wood rub). I don't have a big enough pan to put the turkey in. So I might try to put a pan on my bottom rack to collect drippings.

Also Should I consider foiling or atleast tenting with foil during the cook or not worry about it? I normally don't foil my cooks but I know turkey and poultry can take in to much smoke! But I'm using smaller chunks than you would get in a bag from the store. Cut mine pretty small

Not sure why, everybody around me is skeptical about how my smoked turkey is gonna turn out. Kinda funny! I just got into smoking this year so this will be a first! I'm not worried one bit!

I have no idea about WSMs. But Turkey is one of the things that I do like to cover with foil once I have the color I want. Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme are great with a little salt and butter. As far as the rest of it I'm sure someone else can help you better than I.

I have no idea about WSMs. But Turkey is one of the things that I do like to cover with foil once I have the color I want. Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme are great with a little salt and butter. As far as the rest of it I'm sure someone else can help you better than I.

Thanks. Next question This turkey has a Pop up timer, Any reason that wouldn't work in a smoker? tbh I haven't had bad luck with pop up timers. I know a lot of people complain about them but I have always found them pretty fool proof.

Hey guys. I really didn't feel like hijacking another thread to get the questions answered.

I'm planning on smoking my turkey on a WSM 18.5 with a few hickory wood chunks. They are smaller than fist size so probably 4-5 chunks. (Ran out of apple and waiting for a wood guy to bring me some). It's a 24lb "enhanced" turkey So I'm not going to brine it. Gonna use the water pan in the WSM.

Use the Hickory Chunks sparingly if that is all you have, Turkey, like most poultry has a lighter more delicate flavor. One does not want to lose the lighter flavor of the meat with an overpowering smoke flavor. Maybe consider using or mix with a lighter flavored wood. The difference between a great turkey and a good turkey may be the type of wood you are using, the amount of wood, or possibly the temperature you are cooking at. Because of this careful consideration should be given to the smoking temperature, the type of wood you plan to use, as well as the amount of wood being used.

The only rubs I have in the house is chicken/rib seasoning and apple wood rub. I wanna make more of a "Traditional" style/flavor turkey. Is this possible? Salt, pepper, garlic, butter??

You can use Salt, pepper, garlic, and butter, you won't get the flavor of a rub if that is what you are targeting. However even with using just those the turkey won't have a traditional flavor because it s smoked.

Is there a proper way to collect the broth? My grandma helps with the thanksgiving dinner and she asked if there was a way I could save some broth for her other dishes. (another reason why I didn't want to use something like apple wood rub). I don't have a big enough pan to put the turkey in. So I might try to put a pan on my bottom rack to collect drippings.

Yes you can collect the drippings but they will also have a smoked flavor to them. Not a bad thing, just be prepared in advance.

Also Should I consider foiling or atleast tenting with foil during the cook or not worry about it? I normally don't foil my cooks but I know turkey and poultry can take in to much smoke! But I'm using smaller chunks than you would get in a bag from the store. Cut mine pretty small

I don't foil but, like any other meat, one can foil when they reach the level of smoke flavor they are comfortable with. Keep in mind that when foiled the skin will not crisp and can become rubbery. My suggestion to you if you are concerned about too much smoke, pull it from the smoker and finish it in a hot oven rather than foiling.

Not sure why, everybody around me is skeptical about how my smoked turkey is gonna turn out. Kinda funny! I just got into smoking this year so this will be a first! I'm not worried one bit!

It is human nature to fear change. You could cook a smaller traditional turkey in the oven another turkey in the smoker. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Thanks. Next question This turkey has a Pop up timer, Any reason that wouldn't work in a smoker? tbh I haven't had bad luck with pop up timers. I know a lot of people complain about them but I have always found them pretty fool proof.

Even when used in the oven they are not really accurate, so they would be no different in the smoker. I leave them in and ignore them so there is not a hole for fluids to leak from. You would probably be better off using a real thermometer, but that's just my opinion.

Here are some reading references for you...

Here is a guide to smoking the turkey by Patio Daddio.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1450009&postcount=1

There is also a good article in Smoke Signals Magazine starting on page 26...
http://issue13.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

From the archives - Wampus Smokes a Turkey.....This mirrors the article in Smoke signals.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176618

and of course the Brethren Unofficial Turkey Thread.... Full of answers to almost any question.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Back