Individual Beef Short Ribs

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a few small individual beef short ribs. Wasn't sure how to cook them.

I hit them with a ton of salt and pepper:

IMG_2443.jpg

I didn't realize how low I was on lump. Bottom of the bag had tons of tiny pieces. I put those in then actually added a few KBB briquettes, then some big chunks of oak wood. It was a franken-fire. Started with lots of dirty smoke:

IMG_2445.jpg

After about an hour, the smoke really cleaned up. Got even more clear as the cook progressed:

IMG_2448.jpg

Here are the ribs on the Egg:

IMG_2451.jpg

And here are the results. The peppery bark was simply delicious. The flavor was great. I only cooked these for like 4 hours. I didn't know how these would cook as individual ribs. And they were different sizes. I prodded some of them and they were super tender. Turns out that for some of them, that was only the fat that didn't render enough and the small bits of beef wasn't tender enough on some of these. But a couple of them were perfect. I should have taken off the smaller ones and let the bigger ones go longer. Next time!

Apologies for the big and sideways pics :)

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

I would most definitely knaw on those bones.

Thank you! To clarify, I didn't put the ribs on until the smoke had cleaned up. I let it very slowly come up to temp and I was in no rush. This has been my approach lately and my food is getting better. For the Egg or the WSM I'll light it up and then very quickly get them into the configuration I'll eventually use during the cook (assemble, fill water pans, etc). I figure everything will heat up together. The fire definitely struggles at first and you can see that with all the dirty smoke. But for both cookers, after an hour or so you have nice, clean fires.

Maybe going forward I'll let them burn more openly for a while to get stronger fires before closing things up. Thinking maybe that will get to clean smoke a little faster?

Looks great. Usually takes me 45 to an hour from torch to TBS and put food on my WSM. Plenty of time to rub ribs, etc...

i do the same thing HEB has these you can get 4 for under 10$ on the regular. nice cook.

i bet those knocked the sox of some of your nj buddies

Absolutely! I was inspired by a trip to Austin back in August. Read Franklin's book plus did a boatload of research about Central Texas Q. Ate at Louie Mueller (snapped a pic of Wayne), John Mueller BBQ (snapped a pic of John), and La Barbecue (I think I got one of Esaul Ramos). I've been trying to come up with something close ever since :)

Those look great, nice cooking

i do the same thing HEB has these you can get 4 for under 10$ on the regular. nice cook.

heb has 4 bone racks if you ask for them. not sure why they don't put them out that way.

nice cook, dsp2:thumb:

Back