• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

weber kettle quick question

It's a nice tool to sweep your ashes, when you have nothing on the grill of course.

Let me rephrase....is bottom vent primarily for air\temp control or ash sweep?

Both. When cooking use it to control airflow. After the cook is finished sweep it back and forth and sweep your ashes into the catcher.

Its used for both temp control and ash sweeping. Some leave the bottom wide open and use the top to control temps others leave the top open and use the bottom to control temps.. I think its more of a personal prefrence than anything because both work. I personally leave top open and use bottom for temp control it works for me. And another note you dont want too sweep ashes during a cook

Its used for both temp control and ash sweeping. Some leave the bottom wide open and use the top to control temps others leave the top open and use the bottom to control temps.. I think its more of a personal prefrence than anything because both work. I personally leave top open and use bottom for temp control it works for me. And another note you dont want too sweep ashes during a cook

Im primarily a uds user so Ill open top all the way and use bottom for temp control...wondered why bottom vent "goes by" full open/closed position...DUH...it is ash sweep function.

think ive wrapped/warped my peabrain around it

THANKS

i'd suggest making little marks that show you where the sweeper handle is when the bottom vent is wide open and closed. it helps me to know how exactly how open my vents are without having to see the sweeper.

i'd suggest making little marks that show you where the sweeper handle is when the bottom vent is wide open and closed. it helps me to know how exactly how open my vents are without having to see the sweeper.

That is a good idea i dont know why i never thought of that

if you are doing low and slow or anytype of indirect cooking you will find that you just need to crack open the lower vents. remember, whatever space you see open you have to times that by three. i just use a mirror to look at the gap. the more you use it the more it will become second nature. i to use the lower vents for heat control. otherwise, why do they give you that option ?

I'm of the belief that leaving the top vents open always give the smoke somewhere to go. Otherwise the smoke would be trapped in the kettle with the food and could give it a bad flavor (creosote)?

If you put the sweeper system in correctly. All the way one way is wide open, all the way the opposite direction is completely closed.

If you put the sweeper system in correctly. All the way one way is wide open, all the way the opposite direction is completely closed.
Mine must be in wrong then. They go from fully closed to full open in about 1/3 or 1/4 of the sweep. The rest of the sweep just moves ashes toward the next open spot.

I have marked the positions fully closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and fully open on the collar that holds the ash bucket on my gold grills.

Like everyone else said, all the way open for grilling, close them off to extinguish the fire. On the Gold one touch ash catcher, there is a stopper in the ash catcher so it is fully open or shut. But on the Silver, the sweeper can go further, thus being open again.

Mine must be in wrong then. They go from fully closed to full open in about 1/3 or 1/4 of the sweep. The rest of the sweep just moves ashes toward the next open spot.

I have marked the positions fully closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and fully open on the collar that holds the ash bucket on my gold grills.

my brand new OTG i recently bought goes from fully closed(all the way left) to about 60% open(all the way right). the bowl comes already assembled this way. i have mine marked at just barely closed and just where it is fully opened. it makes it really easy to glance down and make my vents open 50%, 25%, or whatever i need.

I'm of the belief that leaving the top vents open always give the smoke somewhere to go. Otherwise the smoke would be trapped in the kettle with the food and could give it a bad flavor (creosote)?

Don't you find that after a while the crack gets choked by ash? That sucks IMO. I wish they'd add a vent on the side like in the WSM

my brand new OTG i recently bought goes from fully closed(all the way left) to about 60% open(all the way right). the bowl comes already assembled this way. i have mine marked at just barely closed and just where it is fully opened. it makes it really easy to glance down and make my vents open 50%, 25%, or whatever i need.

Take the sweeper arm off the one touch system. Then spin the one touch system around and you will notice get to a point, you can go all the way open one way and all the way closed the other way. I have 2 OTG and a Performer that I did this with. When i got them, they were assembled and I adjusted it and it lines up perfectly from the left and right.

Back