Weber Performer LP useage?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just got a new-to-me Performer for cooking the occasional burger and searing sous vide steaks, pellet pooper products, etc. It seems to want about 10 minutes of the LP flame to get the coals well started.

Any wisdom on how long I can expect a standard 16 oz. propane torch tank to last?

Also, am I limited to 16 or 18 oz tanks? I went to HD today thinking I'd buy one of the bigger diameter/higher capacity tanks but all they had were squatty "camping gas" tanks at 18oz. They were actually more expensive on a per-ounce basis. Are those two my only option?

I think they make an adapter from the small tank fitting to a standard 30# tank unless you don't want a tank sitting around. That will last a long time.

I think they make an adapter from the small tank fitting to a standard 30# tank unless you don't want a tank sitting around. That will last a long time.
Yeah. I just don't know how much hassle is worthwhile. If the little 1# tank lasts a couple of hours that's about 3 cents a minute/30 cents each time I light the charcoal and it's acceptable. If a 1# tank only lasts 45 minutes then I probably will put a 20# tank there with an adapter hose.

I'm just looking for one or two voices of experience here.

my small tanks have lasted 60 days using it nearly 5 times a week.

I just got a new-to-me Performer for cooking the occasional burger and searing sous vide steaks, pellet pooper products, etc. It seems to want about 10 minutes of the LP flame to get the coals well started.

Any wisdom on how long I can expect a standard 16 oz. propane torch tank to last?

Also, am I limited to 16 or 18 oz tanks? I went to HD today thinking I'd buy one of the bigger diameter/higher capacity tanks but all they had were squatty "camping gas" tanks at 18oz. They were actually more expensive on a per-ounce basis. Are those two my only option?

To me it's a convenience factor but it does look like the smaller tanks are more expensive, i'm getting ready to buy a Weber Summit charcoal grill and i will have the adapter hose before the Summit arrives. I have 1 gas grill and 3 20# propane tanks so for me it's a no brainer to use the bigger tanks.

I quit using the ignition system on my old performer, and now only use a Weber chimney. I use scrap paper towels with a little grease on them, and some newspaper. I actually DO use a blowtorch to light the paper, and I'm on my 2nd season with the same bottle of gas. I cook on it at least 4 meals a week all summer long, and twice a week during the winter.

You don't need to run the gas assist more than 4 minutes or so. Use it just enough to get the bottom of the chimney lit. Fire will take care of lighting the rest of the chimney. The 1# tanks last quite a while if you are frugal with them.

An option is the Weber starter cubes. $4/box of 24. Light the cube and walk away. No need to wait to shut off the gas. They can be halved and still do the job. How long will it take to go through 48 chimneys? For $8 and 1 chimney per night you're good until nearly Sept. :thumb:

I run the gas 5 minutes then ready to cook in another 10 - 15 minutes. Get 20 lights per 16oz bottle. A little over $.15 per light.

I set the weber charcoal chimney on the charcoal grill, not the food grill, just above the gas ignition flame. The chimney concentrates the heat and reduces the gas needed to 1/2 what would be needed otherwise. Using the chimney also ensures all the charcoal is lit. If you put the charcoal on the grill directly, the charcoal above the gas flame will light quickly but it will take a half hour for the charcoal at the edge to light. My wife insist that we use the small cylinders even though I have the adapter and hose to allow the use of a 20# bottle. They are more convenient and are good for a couple of dozen lights. It is not a significant cost when compared to the cost of charcoal and other cook supplies. I buy them from Walmart in multiple packs.

Thanks, all. I think I will just sit tight and wait to see what my experience is. I was probably trying to look too far ahead. I will try using the gas for only five minutes instead of ten.

I do have an extra 30# tank if I decide to go that way.

Back