Plowboy Chicken - Thoughts?

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Did a trial run on chicken this Sunday. For you judges, what would you think of this... without tasting, obviously? What would your first impressions be? Turn ons, turn offs?

Here are picks with and without flash. They looked more like the picture with flash. The top four pieces were glazed with a different sauce than the bottom four.

Attachments

• lotta bull chicken 005 (Medium).jpg
    lotta bull chicken 005 (Medium).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 454
  • lotta bull chicken 004 (Medium).jpg
    lotta bull chicken 004 (Medium).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 425
  • lotta bull chicken 002 (Medium).jpg
    lotta bull chicken 002 (Medium).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 421
I'd say they look good, Plowboy!

How they taste as good as they look?

Fredbird said:
I'd say they look good, Plowboy!

How they taste as good as they look?
I was playing with appearance and not the entire flavor profile, so I didn't do everything to them that I normally would to enhance the flavor. It was the best SKIN I've ever produced in terms of being able to bite through it. Skin and dry white meat are the toughest challenge of chicken for me and most cooks. Thighs get your around one issue, but not the other.

Just trying to zero in before Marshall contest in a month.

EDIT: I personally don't like sauce on chicken, but it seems like you need to in order to do well consistently. So, I'm trying to figure out how to sauce my chicken thighs. Its tougher than it seems. The thing I hate about sauce in general is that it tends to dominate the flavor profile.

Nice appearance! I'll be there to see you get your trophy at Marshall!!

Bring the real deal tomarrow and I'll let you know my opinion after I eat up tham birds. The darker sauce looks better to me but the pics can lie.

Looks good Plowboy. I assume you used a thinned out sauce for your glaze?

Actually, no. The bottom one is straight Blues Hog and the top is Mean Dean's. Or in the horizontal picture, the one on the left is Blues Hog and the right is Mean Dean's.

Since I don't have a go to sauce for chicken, I'm trying to pick one. I was eyeing the Williams Grilling Sauce - Spicy Pear this morning. That might be the next experiment.

Todd, your chicken looks great, I have been wondering if anyone has seen success with saucing only the bottom (meat side) of the chicken and leaving the top (skin) with only a dry rub to keep it really crispy but the judges should get the sauce when they bite into it?

i am glad that we droped marshel from our contest run this year

that is some fine looking chicken 9.0 all the way on look

good golden colers little seasoning on top

i am a lost for words

DAM

york

Plowboy said:
I personally don't like sauce on chicken, but it seems like you need to in order to do well consistently. So, I'm trying to figure out how to sauce my chicken thighs. Its tougher than it seems. The thing I hate about sauce in general is that it tends to dominate the flavor profile.

Todd - First of all I agree about sauce but unfortunately we have turned the KCBS chicken and rib categories into a suace contest (IMHO).

They both look good. I know several teams that do well with Blues Hog on their chicken. I would be carefull withj the Mean Deans' - great brisket sauce - just not sure how it would do on chicken. We have found that judges like a sweet tomato based sauce on chicken.

on the looks i would say a good 8 maybe 9 just depends on presentation, but looks great. middle picture left side chickens look awesome right side looks alittle small and sizes vary, but def a 8 maybe 9.

MoKanMeathead said:
Todd - First of all I agree about sauce but unfortunately we have turned the KCBS chicken and rib categories into a suace contest (IMHO).

They both look good. I know several teams that do well with Blues Hog on their chicken. I would be carefull withj the Mean Deans' - great brisket sauce - just not sure how it would do on chicken. We have found that judges like a sweet tomato based sauce on chicken.

They definately taste different on the chicken. For contractual purposes I can't say which I liked more than the other (since I sell both). :lol: I will say that I think the Blues Hog looks better just because of the granuales of seasoning that shows up on the meat. The MD has less 'stuff' floating in it.

This is far from perfect, but I appreciate the comments. Lots of size variations in the pieces and some pieces have rub that washed off when glazing, so they look uneven. For comp, I'd do a better job of picking what I cooked and what went into the box.

To be continued.

This is how I like chicken. Too much seasoning comes off when glazed. Give it to me dry. :rolleyes:

matt_hall%20150%20ce.jpg

chicken

Looks good. I some times I will put rub on fairly heavy on the bottom because some always comes off of the skin side. I do not think you can go wrong with the blues hog, it is good on everything.

ole'e said:
. I do not think you can go wrong with the blues hog, it is good on everything.

Maybe its just me or the group i served bit i made 4 batches of chicken and asked everybody to grade it and they all hated the blues hog, i dont like it

We turn in chicken halves in Texas but they look great. Personally, I like the darker colored ones. I think a lighter color may associate being underdone with an unfamiliar judge. Great job getting the skin to bite off with the meat.

I would like the bottom set vs. the top set. I do prefer a bit of a glaze on the chicken but not a full sauce treatment.

Back