Memphis Elite - Feeding pellets to fill burn pot during cool mode?

QuincyQ

Reaction score
We just got a new Memphis Elite. When it works it does a great job but right now it seems to have a lot of problems. I'm trying to figure out what's user error and what's not.

One thing... During the cool down mode it will continue to feed pellets. Sometimes about 1/2" deep in the burn pot, once or twice it filled up to the rim. Is this normal?

Thanks,

I believe that's the same controller in my Memphis Pro. No, that isn't normal. During cool down the fans kick on to burn what's left in the burn pot, but doesn't feed any more pellets. Reach out to their support.

Out of curiosity - have you been able to use the app? I've all but given up.

Yeah, I did get the app working but it took a lot of messing around and I think a bit of luck. I've no idea what I did that finally got it to work though. Just kept trying. Their setup is different from anything like that I've ever seen before and could use some help from someone who knows programming, WiFi and UI design.

That said, once working it works well. One caveat is that when you turn your grill on it will query their cloud about 90 seconds after you turn it on and change the set temp to whatever the last temp you used was so you need to remember to change it after it does that.

Definitely call Memphis, their support is top notch. Also, keep trying to get the app connected as you might need a firmware update that could fix the shutdown mode. I don’t remember having too many issues connecting and using it, but it’s been a couple years. Seems like it’s 2.4 GHz only though. If you have a guest network try connecting it to that as many of those are 2.4 only.

I was so disappointed when Memphis shipped production overseas and heard their quality has slipped a little because of, but their support is still reported to be great.

Thanks. I'm on the latest FW according to Memphis tech support (and this is actually our second controller due to other problems).

No OTA updates - requires a USB thumb drive, FAT16 format. The controller and wireless are updated separately, each has their own USB port. Current controller firmware is 3.0.4, wireless 1.94. I have my doubts that his issue is firmware related, but I've been wrong before.

I gave up with getting it on the network because of its PITA requirements. PSK can't have any special characters, it doesn't like bonded channels on 5 GHz (2.4 GHz should NEVER have bonded channels) and it doesn't seem to play well with .1x. I guess I could make another WLAN just for it, but I haven't done it yet because I hate having to bend my network around crappy drivers instead of the manufacturer fixing their bad wireless supplicant.

Definitely call customer service again.

I also have the wi-fi problems mentioned. My wifi adapter firmware is up to date and my controller FW is one revision back. Will try updating main FW, but doubt that will fix the issue with it not connecting to my mesh network.

Back