Wood Fired Kettle

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been toying around with different steak cooking methods and today I decided I wanted to give a mostly wood chunk fire a shot. I put a handful of briqs in the bottom of a chimney and filled the rest with small chunks of oak. Prime strip went over the fire for a couple of minutes per side and then to the cool zone until it hit 125 inside.

I only took the one picture, but it came out good. Fun method to try and I will do it again. I can get these chunks fairly cheap so its not hard on the wallet. The last steak I did was on the tiny pellet and then on the OFB. Good results there too, but this might edge it. Cleaned out the pellet grill with a "bucket head" and that little booger works like a charm. Looking at the vac pic I can see I need to do some cleaning out there. Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 158
Looks Great. I can't tell how thick it is. You said you get them pretty cheap. I have found that on really thin steaks, they do well from frozen strait to grill. On thicker one's I might do like you did here. (or reverse sear) Interesting options are cave man steak or rocket stove (if I had one). I have not really mastered steak, other than eating them. That I can do :-D Steaks always taste good at the river or lake over a wood fire. But then again, I'm usually starving from working up an appetite there.

When I sear just one steak I always use the chimney with coals after sous vide. I'll try some chunks of oak on top of the coals next time. Good idea.

Back