Did I commit a cardinal sin?

JEStucker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so nea
I'm not sure I'm committing a sin, or just cheating, but I do tend to run out of patience when it comes to getting coals lit for grilling (especially now that it's starting to get darker sooner.)
I've started keeping a small bag of the cheapest match light briquettes I can find on hand (and some lighter fluid, which I thankfully haven't opened yet) I'll drop a few (3-5) of the match light briqs into my charcoal chimney and add my regular (typically Kingsford Blue Bag) on top of them, then wad up my newspaper underneath. I've noticed drastically shorter start ups and more even burns since adding this step (and it works in damp weather)
I'm thinking this may be my new go to for getting a snake method lit too... a couple of match light briqs to start it, then regular charcoal and wood from there...

How many Hail Briskets do I need to say to absolve myself?

I believe this is an interesting idea. I am with you that getting charcoal lit is a royal pain. I have bought two torch connections and neither have worked. Let me know how it works and does anyone else use this method?

I've been using a torch lately, mostly to avoid the newspaper ash from chimney starts. That wasn't an issue with my Weber where it fell down to the ash collector, by in my PK360 with a full size charcoal basket it ends up floating everywhere.

Torch + Match Light might be faster yet. But I've already got enough sins on my conscience, so I'm not taking any chances.

I like Weber cubes but I’ve switched to alcohol and cotton balls. The match light used as a starter is an option I’ve thought about when starting a slow burn in my S&S XL. They should ash over quickly and not be a problem. Thanks for provoking an urge to experiment.

I don't seem to have any problem with lighting. Typically HOT in 15 minutes using a chimney, and to light the chimney just tear off a few strips of bag material from the charcoal bag. I separate the layers of bag and bunch them up individually, with the outer layer (white layer on kingsford) being what I actually light first as it fires right up.

My Dad did this growing up. Kerosene-gasoline-cigarette lighter fluid- he'd roll around a briquette or two. Gulflite got the full treatment. I'm not sure he didn't get the cider jugs mixed and used chlorodane one time. If it was petroleum based he lit the charcoal with it.

Hadn't thought of the lighter cubes...
I don't subscribe to any newspapers anymore and we sort of get a neighborhood/community bulletin that's on newsprint once week or so. It's usually just enough to light a couple of chimney's (4-6 sheets), but I will stockpile it during the winter months when it's just too damn cold out.
Definitely should think farther ahead and use strips from the charcoal bags, but I usually just use the bag when it's down to the last couple of cooks.

Glad to know the match light idea isn't too frowned upon, it seems to be working the last few months. I've only been really grilling lately and generally just quick easy things since our household is just my wife and I. I haven't run any decent sized cooks in the smoker in quite a while...

Sounds like a good idea! Ever since I started using the side burner of my gasser I’m not sure it could go much faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually only use the side burner on the propane grill if I want to light just a few coals. Mostly because it makes a mess of the burner, but it does work well. Usually I just use paper in the chimney and it works ok. I might get some lighter cubes instead though, it sounds a lot easier.

I believe this is an interesting idea. I am with you that getting charcoal lit is a royal pain. I have bought two torch connections and neither have worked. Let me know how it works and does anyone else use this method?

Which ones?

I used to do that but no longer do. I’ve switched to using paraffin cubes in my chimney starter. I can it a briquet or two deep and it really takes off quickly.

Last edited:
Back