PBC and Brisket cook advice

14Dateam

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I have never tried to cook a brisket before and need some advice.
I bought a 5lb brisket and would like to know how long to expect to cook it on PBC. I keep seeing videos cooking 12lb or so and the cook is 5 1/2 hours - 6hrs. Cooking on PBC how much time do you think it will take for only the 5lbs?

My wife bought it yesterday and talked to the butcher and he cut it down for her to 5lb.
I am thinking base on the thread you sent it might cook 2- 2 1/2 hrs. My PBC runs around 280 degrees not 350 like the thread had. Thoughts?

I'd say longer than 2 1/2 hours. Even though it may be small it still needs time to cook. Trying to figure out how the butcher cut the brisket into 5lbs. Flat only or point?? Though unlikely maybe both?

I'd say longer than 2 1/2 hours. Even though it may be small it still needs time to cook. Trying to figure out how the butcher cut the brisket into 5lbs. Flat only or point?? Though unlikely maybe both?

How can you tell if it is a flat or point?
Sorry but this is all new for me. :confused:

Figured out point vs flat. :doh:
Thanks for your help. I will plan to cook it longer. 160 then foil and finish till 200. Hope this works.

Figured out point vs flat. :doh:
Thanks for your help. I will plan to cook it longer. 160 then foil and finish till 200. Hope this works.

Sounds good! Even if you finish early, you can rest it. I've rested all the way up to 5 hrs still burnt my fingers. The longer the rest the better the end product.

And remember to cook to probe tender instead of a certain temp. Temp is only your guide.

Likely just a flat. Time depends on temp. I find drums cook fast for some reason. I’d count on 5-6 hrs. If it’s just a flat and your first one use consider a couple things...

Inject for moisture. You can use just plain beef stock or any commercially made injections.

Wrap on the earlier side (160-165)

Use foil for your wrap and add some liquid in there....broth, beer, whatever.

These things will help hedge your bets that you will get a moist product. Good luck!

I've done a couple brisket flats (mostly as pastrami) and they are pretty consistently 6 hours then resting in cooler however long you can. Let us know and send some pictures

Back