Pepper for brisket

I usually get a very course grind from my local farmers market. I am guessing its 13 mesh or what have you. I like it because of the freshness and how course it is. It works great with kosher salt, something happens during the cooking process where the two join forces to create an awesome unique flavor.

Resturaunt grind,not fresh cracked.Fresh is too strong for my taste on a brisket.

+1 on not fresh cracked. Even Restaurant grind can be too strong if its a fairly new batch.

I have developed a sensitivity to black pepper over the years. Its ironic because i love crazy spicy food, but black pepper gets to me.

Also, for some reason i can dump a lot of table shaker black pepper in soups after they are cooked just before serving, and i love it.

I have both 16 mesh (I think because at some point I read that’s what Aaron Franklin uses) and “restaurant grind” from Sam’s Club - the restaurant grind is slightly more fine but I don’t really notice a difference in the final product. I use granulated garlic and granulated onion along with the restaurant grind pepper and kosher salt and I think the larger particles do have a beneficial effect on the bark and flavor as opposed to finer versions of each spice.

Restaurant grind is easier for me to find locally and also the cheaper of the two options so that’s what I use

I usually go with the Tones restaurant grind. Recently, I haven't been able to find it and have been using the Great Value table grind. Agree with the statements above about not using fresh cracked as it dominates other rub ingredients.

I love pepper. We go through 5-7lbs of pepper a year and there's only 2 of us. I won't put fruit on my cottage cheese, but I'll turn it black with pepper. My favorite all-around pepper is Spice Lab No. 186 Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorn TGSEB. I wear out pepper grinders. Not uncommon to see me chuck up the Zassenhaus ceramic grinder in my cordless drill and go to town which means my brisket is always peppery - just the way it is in this household.

I use the Costco coarse grind from Costco.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I use Pensey's fine shaker Tellicherry for everything as I don't like getting big chunks of pepper. Mix it with kosher salt

I use Costco course grind but that doesn't answer your question. By the way, I googled Butcher vs Restaurant style black pepper and I'm getting different mesh sizes for both styles from different websites, I guess there is no hard rule on naming the grind? Probably just need to try a brand and see which one you prefer.

I use Costco course grind but that doesn't answer your question. By the way, I googled Butcher vs Restaurant style black pepper and I'm getting different mesh sizes for both styles from different websites, I guess there is no hard rule on naming the grind? Probably just need to try a brand and see which one you prefer.

I have several different brands. I mostly use the restaurant grind, I think it's from GFS. the butcher style I have is almost half cracked, very large, course pepper.

I already had my answer but looking in a spice cupboard with no less than 3 varieties of black pepper I was curious where other brethren landed.

I prefer the preground for brisket rubs, I dont really want dust and it doesnt need the freshness of home cracked pepper

Back