Gateway Drums

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So, I am about to become a card carrying member of the #ICP and I am very excited. I have cooked on drums before, but I use a diffuser normally. Is anyone that cooks on these during comps willing to provide me with a basic timeline? I have read numerous things about these cooking hotter and faster than normal drums. Thank you in advance.

Using them as they come with no heat deflector(which is their advantage in my opinion) there is more radiant heat which will cause faster cooking. Everyone's method and how they cook is different. I would suggest practicing on them and developing your own timeline because how you cook, the temp you cook at, and when/if you wrap is going make it different for everyone.

In general, butts and briskets can be done in the 4-5 hour range. I would recommend listening closely to any info that Brad(gettin basted) or Tim(shake n bake) post as they are the masters of cooking on these.

Welcome to the Posse! One of the great perks of Gateway ownership is the group of elite Pitmasters that love nothing more than cooking on and talking about their cans. The blog linked above is a great resource for general information. The Insane Can Posse Facebook group is also a good place to get help.

Most of us are also active members of this great forum making The Brethren a great place to get help.

For a basic timeline the big meats go on at 6:30 or so and are wrapped based on color after 2-3 hours in the smoke. Ribs go on for about 1.5 -2 before wrapping.

Always pull by feel because it isn't exact, but you can use this as a guideline.

Brisket - 5 hours
Pork - 4 hours
Ribs -3 hours
Chicken 1.5 hours

We have a handful of spots left in our February 27th class in Kansas City so I would highly recommend a trip down for that. Good luck and post about what you learn!

Welcome to the Posse! One of the great perks of Gateway ownership is the group of elite Pitmasters that love nothing more than cooking on and talking about their cans. The blog linked above is a great resource for general information. The Insane Can Posse Facebook group is also a good place to get help.

Most of us are also active members of this great forum making The Brethren a great place to get help.

For a basic timeline the big meats go on at 6:30 or so and are wrapped based on color after 2-3 hours in the smoke. Ribs go on for about 1.5 -2 before wrapping.

Always pull by feel because it isn't exact, but you can use this as a guideline.

Brisket - 5 hours
Pork - 4 hours
Ribs -3 hours
Chicken 1.5 hours

We have a handful of spots left in our February 27th class in Kansas City so I would highly recommend a trip down for that. Good luck and post about what you learn!

That would be amazing, but with these purchased and a new trailer coming, it's not in the cards. I am looking forward to hanging some ribs!

A couple friends from Oklahoma got me to look around ad I saw that damn white rabbit. Been staring at that pill for a month. I sent the email initiating my order today.
Brad's white rabbit post is a great post and a very good start to build your own hot and fast brisket cooking method and timeline.

I took the class in Washington, MO last Saturday and it was great. Ordering another can tomorrow.

I would stick with a smoker and learn how to use it. Al.ost seems like you are trying to catch lightning in a bottle with your shotgun approach. Once you master one smoker, then move on. But I am not sure if you learn how to cook consistent BBQ if you are changing cookers, techniques, et al. When something new is winning.

Hopefully you understand that I am giving constructive criticism. New smokers are awesome, but much like wagyu, if you (not you personally) dont know how to cook a brisket, I wouldn't be wasting my money on a high end product. So if your new pit is a can, stick with it until you are consistent. Don't switch because you don't hit immediately.

And you know you can always reach out to me if you have questions. I may be semi-retired, but it doesn't make me forget how to cook.

I would stick with a smoker and learn how to use it. Al.ost seems like you are trying to catch lightning in a bottle with your shotgun approach. Once you master one smoker, then move on. But I am not sure if you learn how to cook consistent BBQ if you are changing cookers, techniques, et al. When something new is winning.

Hopefully you understand that I am giving constructive criticism. New smokers are awesome, but much like wagyu, if you (not you personally) dont know how to cook a brisket, I wouldn't be wasting my money on a high end product. So if your new pit is a can, stick with it until you are consistent. Don't switch because you don't hit immediately.

And you know you can always reach out to me if you have questions. I may be semi-retired, but it doesn't make me forget how to cook.

Scottie,

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. At this point, I am looking at it like this. I started on drums, then got the stick burner itch. I continued to cook on drums at home. I stayed with that stickburner because i started to place in a couple categories. But I still used drums at home. I bought a used backwoods to try. I still go back to my drum. I figure, since I have mastered a simple UDS and can put out good product, it's time to use them permanently.

this is beautiful advice!

Scottie,

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. At this point, I am looking at it like this. I started on drums, then got the stick burner itch. I continued to cook on drums at home. I stayed with that stickburner because i started to place in a couple categories. But I still used drums at home. I bought a used backwoods to try. I still go back to my drum. I figure, since I have mastered a simple UDS and can put out good product, it's time to use them permanently.

Good Skippy. Hope you tear it up this year. Don't expect us Westsiders to roll over. I'm expecting big things from Michigan as a whole this year! Time for a couple more first time GCs!

IMHO....I think this drum thing is a passing fad! At least everyone in my part of the country (texas&oklahoma). Should definitely continue cooking on their stick burners and pellet cookers....if I can't out cook them...i will have more time for drinking on Friday night and sleep in on Saturday..#ICP

Scottie,

This sounds a lot like why I switched to drums for this season. I haven't cooked on any of my pellet smokers, wsm, or insisted cabinets at home since I bought my first drum. Of course I have never cooked on a can in a competition. Time to simplify my life.

I like reading these threads about drum smokers as it hits close to home. FYI I have seen drum cookers come full circle. I started competing in April of 2006 and in October of 2007 I won the American Royal open bbq contest grand championship cooking solely on drum smokers. When I started everybody would laugh at me because I used (trash cans ). Then in a few years you started seeing more and more drums being used. And that continues today. Now when you show up at a competition without a drum smoker everyone wonders why you don't have one. So when it comes to drum smokers I know them pretty good. It's nice seeing more of them at comps even though it makes it harder to win

I like reading these threads about drum smokers as it hits close to home. FYI I have seen drum cookers come full circle. I started competing in April of 2006 and in October of 2007 I won the American Royal open bbq contest grand championship cooking solely on drum smokers. When I started everybody would laugh at me because I used (trash cans ). Then in a few years you started seeing more and more drums being used. And that continues today. Now when you show up at a competition without a drum smoker everyone wonders why you don't have one. So when it comes to drum smokers I know them pretty good. It's nice seeing more of them at comps even though it makes it harder to win

Like preachin' to the choir!

Back