3 2 1

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey All, New to the "brotherhood" and have been reading and learning. My question is about the 3 2 1 or 2 2 1 cook. What is the purpose of the foil wrap in the middle of the cook? What is the goal of the final hour? I've cooked a lot on both gas and coals, but this is a new concept for me. Thanks

Wrap to keep moisture, last hour to finish and set sauce.

Hey All, New to the "brotherhood" and have been reading and learning. My question is about the 3 2 1 or 2 2 1 cook. What is the purpose of the foil wrap in the middle of the cook? What is the goal of the final hour? I've cooked a lot on both gas and coals, but this is a new concept for me. Thanks

3-2-1 as me and my buddies do it is St. Louis trimmed spares.....rubbed and bone side down for three hours with smoke.

Next 2 hours in a foil wrap.....small amount of apple juice only.....or squeeze butter, honey, brown sugar and anything else that you'd like....sealed up and returned to the grill meat side down.

Last hour is out of the foil to reform the bark a little due to the saturation occurred in the wrap.

The entire cook works best for me if I stay at 210-220 if the grill cooperates. I think the original formula was predicated on a steady 225. I find the ribs to be falling apart if I go at 225. My family loves them that way.....I like a bite with minimal tug.

A recent rib cook of mine after the first 3 hours, the went into the wraps with just a small bit of brown sugar, apple juice and a few chunks of apple (hey, I had it on hand and figured what that heck...it couldn't hurt):

SKpvc1j.jpg

After the 2 & 1:

PxkMr4Q.jpg

5JNmcJY.jpg

Apples didn't help....but they didn't hurt anything. I counted it as my fruit for the day. :biggrin1:

To simply answer your question without adding any opinion on wrapping and not wrapping....

The wrap is to create an environment similar to a dutch oven or slow cooker where the moisture isn't allowed to evaporate. Evaporation creates a loss of energy and slows cooking. So limiting that will drastically speed up the cooking process.

The last hour is to let excess water evaporate and "set" the sauce or rub.

EDIT: Nice pics Dub!!

What type of smoker do you have? Many here have been cooking ribs at high temps, so the 3-2-1 would be way too long. For example, ribs take 3 hours on my UDS at 275-300*. Some here cook them in a little over an hour with top secret cooking instruments:grin:, it's all about what works for you. For me, 6 hours at low temps is a waste of time when 3 hours works perfect.

i tried this once...i guess i was cooking too hot....all the meat shriveled up and went away lol

I had been using the the Chargriller side smoker, and had to leave the ribs as long as 7 hours but never wrapped them. I just picked up the Primo XL oval and want to try ribs this week. I've seen opinions all over the place about wrapping with a ceramic, so really wanted to understand the purpose. I'm thinking that I'll try both ways on the first cook to see if there's a significant difference.

How does not wrapping effect time?

Well, you can't 3 2 1 without wrapping. Personally, I have been doing more of a 4 1.5 1 on baby backs. The thicker meat on the baby backs can benefit from that longer cook as well as a little more time that it renders the fat before the wrap, which lets me make a perfect sauce during the wrap (honey, butter, dark brown sugar, hint of cinnamon, and more of my rib rub). And by hint of cinnamon, I really do mean just the tiniest sprinkle across the bed of brown sugar, not even enough to really even smell it over the rub (which has onion and garlic power as well as multiple chilli powders), but it makes the brown sugar and butter just pop with it in there.

As said above, wrapping accelerates the cook since it causes the meat to steam or braise in juices in the foil. Another thing it does is keep the ribs from getting really dark since wrapping keeps the smoke off the ribs.

I agree that the 321 only works at a lower temp like 225 or even a little lower.
As with most all things BBQ, there's no real absolutes with this technique.
In competitions, we cook at 300 degrees and we do more of a 2-2-0.25 thing.

Normally, I'd recommend just cooking things until they're done, whether wrapped or not. With the wrap, however, it becomes a little harder to check the ribs without UNwrapping them, but when you do unwrap them and open the smoker, you've just increased the overall cook time, so I think that's where this "magical" formula came into play.

What I've found that works well is 3 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hours in the wrap and then after unwrapping, cook until done, which usually ends up being 0.5-1.0 hour (this all done at 225 degrees). The shorter time in the wrap will prevent you opening them up and the ribs being mush. This way, you can judge how much longer they need after you unwrap.

While it is a proven technique, it's not really any more complicated than wrapping the meat with foil or paper, just like with brisket, pork, chuck roast or any big meat. Same technique, it's just that somewhere along the way, someone figured out what cook times in and out of the wrap worked at what temperature and it became a "method".

Try it out. You may like the results. Or you may not. You can then adjust to what your preferences are and BOOM.....you'll have a new method! :becky:

As said above, wrapping accelerates the cook since it causes the meat to steam or braise in juices in the foil. Another thing it does is keep the ribs from getting really dark since wrapping keeps the smoke off the ribs.

I agree that the 321 only works at a lower temp like 225 or even a little lower.
As with most all things BBQ, there's no real absolutes with this technique.
In competitions, we cook at 300 degrees and we do more of a 2-2-0.25 thing.

Normally, I'd recommend just cooking things until they're done, whether wrapped or not. With the wrap, however, it becomes a little harder to check the ribs without UNwrapping them, but when you do unwrap them and open the smoker, you've just increased the overall cook time, so I think that's where this "magical" formula came into play.

What I've found that works well is 3 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hours in the wrap and then after unwrapping, cook until done, which usually ends up being 0.5-1.0 hour (this all done at 225 degrees). The shorter time in the wrap will prevent you opening them up and the ribs being mush. This way, you can judge how much longer they need after you unwrap.

While it is a proven technique, it's not really any more complicated than wrapping the meat with foil or paper, just like with brisket, pork, chuck roast or any big meat. Same technique, it's just that somewhere along the way, someone figured out what cook times in and out of the wrap worked at what temperature and it became a "method".

Try it out. You may like the results. Or you may not. You can then adjust to what your preferences are and BOOM.....you'll have a new method! :becky:

What wuld one put in the foil when one would wrap?:becky::becky::becky:

How does not wrapping effect time?
Loinbacks I cook at 235, they're always done at right about 4 hours. Spares/St. Louis I cook at 275, those usually take around 4 1/2 hours. I use the toothpick test to probe for tender.

When I wrap I add 1/2 cup of Syrah or Merlot. I usually do loin backs and go bare for 2 hours, wrapped for 1 hour and 1/2 hour more or less for saucing. I' usually running about 290, although the dome therm says 250. Here's a typical result...

A6B89252-F64E-4DB5-8118-F6A43077BCED_zpsuhmobxae.jpg

0B9F0BD5-F39B-44B5-A38E-745C993CEDEB_zpsj9uow4rk.jpg

To simply answer your question without adding any opinion on wrapping and not wrapping....

The wrap is to create an environment similar to a dutch oven or slow cooker where the moisture isn't allowed to evaporate. Evaporation creates a loss of energy and slows cooking. So limiting that will drastically speed up the cooking process.

The last hour is to let excess water evaporate and "set" the sauce or rub.

EDIT: Nice pics Dub!!

This tells what's needed about wrapping & what Wampus said.....

I sometimes wrap right at the start with liquids....run for an hour & a half or so, pull them out & baste with the cooked sauce from the foil....kind of a "reverse foiling"......these were spares, done with BBQ sauce & pickle juice....

Pre-StuporBowl039.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl010.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl028.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl029.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl030.jpg

Nice bite thru at 3 hrs 10 min total @ 275 ~ 300f

Pre-StuporBowl043.jpg

Couple racks of backribs done the same way, foil 1st, then finish....one cranberry / fig, one blueberry, I think.....

Pre-StuporBowl090.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl083.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl081.jpg

Not a standard way of doing things, but for demonstration purposes, shows how braizing can be used....for demonstration purposes only......

Here's the smoked no foil ones at 5-1/2 hours.......

Pre-StuporBowl088.jpg

I did the 3-2-1 maybe 2-3 times but now its no wrap and higher temps....I like the texture better and the flavor.

I may have passed by it in the comments, but if I'm not mistaken, the 3-2-1 method was "developed" for full spare ribs, not St Louis cut or baby backs, and a cook temp of 220-225 as mentioned.

Mjpmap, you just kinda have to experiment with the different methods until you find what hits your hot button. I personally like to cook at 275-325 for 1.5-2 hours til I get the color I like, wrap in paper for 1-1.5 hours, and the maybe a half an hour to set bark and or sauce if you use it. For my taste, I've found that wrapping in paper makes for moister ribs without turning them to mush, which sometimes happens when wrapping in foil.

More info than you asked for:wink:, just my .02 worth.

KC

Back