• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First time Pretzel make with pron heavy!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I know this is not BBQ, but I was so darned proud of the way they turned out I had to share. I've always wanted to make pretzels and today seemed like the day to give it a try.

And now for the pron!

water%20and%20yeast_zpsnwgrjuw7.jpg

flour%20and%20sugar_zpsoec3j6l1.jpg

let%20stand%201%20hour_zpswibvlrgj.jpg

pretzel%20dough_zpsudp5h431.jpg

pretzel%20portions_zpsk9lmx1hq.jpg

Baking soda bath before going onto the baking sheet.

baking%20soda%20water_zpscrmui1ce.jpg

I attempted the classic pretzel shape, but quickly realized my talents lay more in the pretzel stick realm.

pretzel%20sticks_zpsbzk5wivd.jpg

Finished product was fantastic. A little sweet, so I'll be cutting back on the sugar the next time.

cooked%20pretzels_zpszpntwdgr.jpg

Brushed with butter and sprinkled with English Flake salt.

delicious_zpsdamijaaj.jpg

Thanks for looking.

The recipe I used can be found here.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i3

Dean

Put some cinnamon and sugar on them and my girls would probably move in with you!

Awesome. Love making pretzels too. Next time pour beer of choice in a pan an place it in oven while they bake. Adds some additional flavor and produces perfect texture

Ha! I went the pretzel stick and nugget route after not being the best traditional pretzel former too :-D. They look great.

I was just looking at a pretzel recipe this morning!

I want to make the chewy kind rather than the hard, crunchy ones.
Were these chewy?
I love a good chewy pretzel!

Being from the pretzel region capital of the world (south-eastern PA/South Jersey), those look pretty good :D

Can't quite tell if you made them hard or soft (as it is really just a cook time).

I have always wanted to make some, but could never find a place to sell food grade lye to make a proper bath. The baking soda is close, but not the same as the real thing.

I have always wanted to make some, but could never find a place to sell food grade lye to make a proper bath. The baking soda is close, but not the same as the real thing.

At one time, brew shops carried dry caustic soda as a cleaning solution. You might still find it there. Still not lye IIRC, but way closer than baking soda.
Hope this helps.

I was just looking at a pretzel recipe this morning!

I want to make the chewy kind rather than the hard, crunchy ones.
Were these chewy?
I love a good chewy pretzel!

Yep, soft and chewy. Best with spicy mustard.

Back