Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto

I got my copy this weekend. After a quick read through last night I can tell you it's fantastic. He gives some history into the details of how he got started and struggled and the book then goes into smoker builds with explanations, theory, and diagrams. He also goes over trimming the various meats, rubs and sauces and cooking methods. The book is hardcover with A LOT of full color pictures. For the money, it's a great buy and I know I'll get use out of it for years to come!!!

Completed the book in about 3-4 days. Awesome read. Did anyone else noticed where he said he leaves his firebox door open at all times during smoking? Did I read that right? Anyone do this on their offset smokers?

Also he's not big on reverse flow cookers because the chance of a grease fire because he experience it on one. Has this happen to anyone with a reverse flow?

It is a nice book.hard cover, quality thkck paper.

A few things i took from the book without giving away the show:

Its best to host BBQs on sunday if you want guest to leave early, Saturday cookouts can have folks staying a bit late (unless thats what your going for) .

carving station, add an extra dimension to your home service by cutting to order.

he wasnt Qing his whole life. alot less experience than one would think.

Completed the book in about 3-4 days. Awesome read. Did anyone else noticed where he said he leaves his firebox door open at all times during smoking? Did I read that right? Anyone do this on their offset smokers?

Also he's not big on reverse flow cookers because the chance of a grease fire because he experience it on one. Has this happen to anyone with a reverse flow?

I leave the firebox door open a lot, but not all the time. I do it if my temps are running too high or if the smoke is looking dirty.

I got through the book in a few days and really enjoyed it. I like the fact that his approach is simple - simple, but not necessarily easy. Seems that strict adherence to a few simple principles is what has brought him the results he is getting.

this seems like a backwards statement...the reverse flow has a plate across the entire cooking grate so that the grease falls onto it and down and away from the fire....the non reverse flows the grease can actually hit the bottom of the cooker and slide directly into the fire....so i dont get what he means

and yes i leave my firebox door open...ive found its easier to control the temp with how much wood im putting on

this seems like a backwards statement...the reverse flow has a plate across the entire cooking grate so that the grease falls onto it and down and away from the fire....the non reverse flows the grease can actually hit the bottom of the cooker and slide directly into the fire....so i dont get what he means

and yes i leave my firebox door open...ive found its easier to control the temp with how much wood im putting on

I was somewhat confused about it too since I've never heard of it happening on a reverse flow (if it did were to happen I'm sure we would have heard it from someone on here). He tells a story in his book the whole reason on him using a reverse flow. I would say, but don't want to spoil a portion of the book for anyone.

When I was working with Tuffy he said he started with a Lang reverse flow but went to the Jambo soon after. Seems to be very consistent for him. He tends to leave the door ajar often but not always and his pit has a very clean airflow through it. I just read that part of Aaron's book yesterday and it made sense to me.

I think grease flow has to do with the pitch of the bottom of the tube. That shouldn't be a function of the plating that controls airflow if a pit is well-designed.

Looks a winner. I'll have to pre-order a copy next week. I wish they would air Franklin's shows on the Spokane PBS so us Canadians could watch the master at work.

Google: bbq with franklin youtube

They were all actually made for YouTube in conjunction with austin PBS.

I really got a lot of help from Aaron's You Tube videos and his ideas have worked well for me. Such a nice guy to share his ideas openly like that I was more than glad to buy his book which will be here shortly! Especially in light of Austin City Council's attempt at destroying the BBQ industry. That's just flat out depressing.

I'll be visiting San Marcos in a week or two and will be sure to stop by and eat at Aaron's!

I really got a lot of help from Aaron's You Tube videos and his ideas have worked well for me. Such a nice guy to share his ideas openly like that I was more than glad to buy his book which will be here shortly! Especially in light of Austin City Council's attempt at destroying the BBQ industry. That's just flat out depressing.

I'll be visiting San Marcos in a week or two and will be sure to stop by and eat at Aaron's!

floating the river already? is it warm enough for that? :biggrin1:

That water is cold even in the middle of summer, especially in San Marcos. I bet the younger crowd can handle it now but not for me. I like the Galveston water in the middle of summer, it can feel like a hot tub!

Bought one for me and one for my sons have not seen them since i brought them home.

I got Kindle samples of Franklin's book and this one and ended up ordering this one. I'm not sure if it's a mistake yet. There's no real info it you can't easily pick up here in the forums and some of the ingredient lists I felt were way over the top. It reminded me of something @PitmasterT said in another thread about Franklin's book: to paraphrase, things are better and more consistent when they're simple. Not a lot of simplicity in the WSM book.

Back