Hot and fast and low and slow

I figure 300 and under is low and slow. 325 and up is hot and fast. In between 300 and 325 is where you don't worry when your temperature fluctuates. ...:biggrin1:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no general across the board consensus on the matter. Ask different age groups, people from different locations or regions and odds are they will all give you a different version. With that said, 40 years ago 200-225 was considered low and slow. Above 225-275 was considered hot. Anything over 275 was reserved for grilling for the most part. Fast forward a couple of decades and there is now people cooking in the 400 degree arena and higher. In my estimate, 200-225 will probably always fall into the "low & slow" category just for the fact that is about as low as most folks will ever cook. With the hot and fast trend steady making in roads with people, it's really hard to say where hot and fast now begins. Aaron Franklin is cooking around 300 and Myron Mixon as high as 375. If you compare this to the norm 40 years ago, they are both cooking pretty dog gone hot. Just for info, my take on it is as follows. 200-225 low and slow. 226-275 medium. 276+ hot and fast. Again this is just my thoughts on the subject. Soon some young new pit master will be showing us the new super hot and super fast method and throw a kink in everything all over again.

I agree on 300 or so being the point between low and slow and hot and fast. And for anything with sugars on it/in the rub, 325 is about the max heat I would hit it with (any more and you risk burning the sugars and creating a nice bitter taste). But the hot and fast that Aaron and Myron are using are for cooking brisket (and I believe Myron does his ribs hot and fast as well), which doesn't use/need sugar in the rub.

I personally think of 275-300 as the no man's land between L+S and H+F, don't want to linger in that zone.

I personally think low and slow is 250 and below. Hot and Fast is 300+ with 250-300 as a medium and moderate.

I have learned how to cook in each temperature zone so that I learned the timelines and I can use the proper timelines to maximize sleep/rest depending on when food service is going to be.

For me 275 -300 is medium to medium high and everything else is relative to that....Now if its rotisserie then 400 is medium.

Last edited:
I consider 200-225 low & slow and 300-325 hot and fast. That 250-275 range is where I point newbies to cook--250 is great for briskets and butts and 275 is great for ribs and chicken. They're the "easy mode" temperatures where there's some forgiveness in not overcooking, but you're not waiting *forever* for meats to be done.

Personally I cook at 300F for the most part but that's because I'm impatient.

Back