Panko problems

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Okay, I was experimenting today with a new Asian Fusion style MOINK Ball.

I took the officially prescribed smoked MOINK Ball and attempted to bread it with a seasoned Panko bread crumb mixture. In order to get the breading to stick I first dipped the MOINK Ball in Yoshida's sauce and then got a good coating on the MOINK Ball.

But as soon as I dropped it in the hot oil all the panko just floated to the top. Oil was heated to 300 degrees. Any suggestions on what I might do differently next time. I want the panko to work, I suppose I could use a tempura batter, but it's not the flavor I want.

personally, i think 300 it too low. i use peanut oil to fry fish and like to get it to 375 or even a tad higher, say 400, so when u drop fish or whatever you are frying, it will come down some. hotter the oil, the less the food will absorb it.

I think you need a binder of some sort. flour, then into egg/milk wash and then into the breadcrumbs. Only way i have been able to make them stick to anything.

After breading put in freezer 30 min to set 350-375 oil temp.

I'm with boatnut - I don't think your oil was hot enough.

Dredge......flour, egg, Panko?

I think you need a binder of some sort. flour, then into egg/milk wash and then into the breadcrumbs. Only way i have been able to make them stick to anything.

DSC02520a.jpg

Yep, flour, egg, panko is the ticket...​

DSC02520a.jpg

Yep, flour, egg, panko is the ticket...​

Yeah, I don't know much about deep frying (except on Frydays), but this will get er done. For the extra flavor, you could soak then meatballs for a few hours in the asian sauce, pat dry, toss in flour, then egg, then panko. Deep fry at about 350.

rick,
that looks like my walleye!!! :) got more for ya if i can figure out a way to get it to ya.

Back