Ceramic fiber blanket?

Oak-n-hickory

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The old Bandera needs a replacement firebox liner (no longer offered by the successor manufacturer) as well as a new charcoal grate (easy) and some paint. While I have a good tile saw which would allow me to taper some fire bricks to line the firebox, I've noticed something else which sounds like it might be worth a try (although a bit more expensive). Lynn Manufacturing (LynnMfg.com) has a "soft and moist ceramic fiber blanket that can be formed to the shape of an existing chamber as a liner. Hardens when fired.". It's supposedly good up to 2300 degrees F. I have no information on just how hot it has to be fired in order for it to harden, but the idea sort of intrigues me. Has anyone tried this stuff? It's a "Kaowool" product, in other words kaolin-based.

I relined my Bandera firebox with some scrap stainless steel sheet metal and posted what I did here. Use the search function and see if it's still around. If not, I still have pics I think.

Thanks - I found your post. I'll have to see what I can find around here - we're sort of short on decent scrap yards, and the big box stores aren't very good about carrying hobbyist sizes of sheet metals. It's not a desperation fix, yet, just seems like I ought to give the old rig a bit of fixing up after it's served me for 20-some years. And to show you just how long I've had it, I completely forgot which model I had - it's actually a Hondo. I think HomeCheapo had the wrong sign on it when I bought it long ago. Still works, just getting a bit ugly, especially with its new competition.

I'd give the ceramic fiber option a shot...... It sure beat cutting tiles and fitting them...

I'd give the ceramic fiber option a shot...... It sure beat cutting tiles and fitting them...

I'd be perfectly happy if my tile saw never left its perch high in the garage again. It's certainly better than cutting and chipping tiles by hand, which I did with a very large room and some Mexican quarry tiles some years ago, but it's still not fun. Besides, I stand to learn something by trying the wet blanket stuff. I've ordered it and will post results once I've installed it. If it's successful, it should be permanent and add a good bit of insulation (it's 1/2" thick); it's used in furnace repairs, kilns, and the like, so Ol' Rusty will probably be well within its scope.

Back