Shirley shipping

Lastrajm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So my smoker should be done by the next week or so, having trouble finding a shipper though. Zero luck on Uship so far with quotes coming in around 1300$. The two companies I've reached out to were in that range as well. Am I crazy for thinking that's too much to ship??? I was really hoping to get in the 800-1k range. 1300 is pushing my budget way over.

I'd just take a few days and drive down to pick it up, gas would be a lot less than those shipping fees............better wait till the blizzard is over

Wow!! That sounds like a lot. A number of years ago I had a 20,000 lb. sailboat shipped from Racine, WI to the west coast for less than $6K. That included special equipment, permits, routing, pilot car, insurance, fuel.... Your shipment is a few hundred lbs. and can be strapped to a pallet and loaded with a forklift. Is the space in a trailer really worth that much now. :shock: In any case the pain of shipping will probably wear off pretty quick once you feast your eyes on that Shirley. Good luck.

Jim

Have you checked R & L Trucking? They delivered my Stumps from GA to DE. I'm pretty sure they're a national firm.

Shipping

So my smoker should be done by the next week or so, having trouble finding a shipper though. Zero luck on Uship so far with quotes coming in around 1300$. The two companies I've reached out to were in that range as well. Am I crazy for thinking that's too much to ship??? I was really hoping to get in the 800-1k range. 1300 is pushing my budget way over.

If this is any comfort....just be glad you dont have to ship your cooker to Hawaii....Imagine how much that could cost!

Too bad you can't drive down. With gas prices as low as they are, it would probably run you under 500 to get it yourself. I was crunching numbers for shipping/going down, and with gas being what it is, driving a Ram250 diesel all the way down there from Chicago and back will realistically only cost about $300.

What size and weight is the smoker! I just entered a 60x60 x48 at 1000 lbs to a business in Atlantic city for $552.77 on YRC freight. If you know a business with a loading dock the freight is cheaper.

How about an RV transport company? They usually have a driver with a pickup haul the trailer. Maybe they can tow your smoker for you. I don't have a recommendation, but I did a google search and there are a bunch of them.

What size and weight is the smoker! I just entered a 60x60 x48 at 1000 lbs to a business in Atlantic city for $552.77 on YRC freight. If you know a business with a loading dock the freight is cheaper.

I need lift gate service at both destinations.

Is it a trailer or patio model? I know a guy that runs hotshots to that area.

Wow!! That sounds like a lot. A number of years ago I had a 20,000 lb. sailboat shipped from Racine, WI to the west coast for less than $6K. That included special equipment, permits, routing, pilot car, insurance, fuel.... Your shipment is a few hundred lbs. and can be strapped to a pallet and loaded with a forklift. Is the space in a trailer really worth that much now. :shock: In any case the pain of shipping will probably wear off pretty quick once you feast your eyes on that Shirley. Good luck.

Jim

It weighs a lot more than a few hundred lbs LOL

Call Thomas at Craters and Freighters. He shipped mine to Southern California for much less than that and that's when fuel costs were much higher.

Thomas Glover
Craters and Freighters of Birmimngham/Tuscaloosa
5541 Powder Plant Lane, Bessemer, Alabama
Phone-205-434-2872
Cell- 334-507-3650
Email – thomas.glover@cratersandfreighters.com

Call Thomas at Craters and Freighters. He shipped mine to Southern California for much less than that and that's when fuel costs were much higher.

Thomas Glover
Craters and Freighters of Birmimngham/Tuscaloosa
5541 Powder Plant Lane, Bessemer, Alabama
Phone-205-434-2872
Cell- 334-507-3650
Email – thomas.glover@cratersandfreighters.com

They were one of my first phone calls. They came in at 1300+$, but that was just they the website. I will give him a call. Thanks!

They were one of my first phone calls. They came in at 1300+$, but that was just they the website. I will give him a call. Thanks!

He too came in at 1300+$ plus. This is all so disappointing to say the least. Keep on searching.....

I wish I had a helpful suggestion, but all I can do is say I feel your pain. If not for the shipping, I'd have a Shirley, too. They're great units, and great people. They just need to set up a couple of strategically-located branch offices around the country …

I used to have a friend work at Freight Quote and he told me that a lot of drivers don't like going up to NY NJ area if they can avoid it. Maybe that has to do with the higher costs? Those quotes seems high to me.

Yes, what palmtreefrb said. I live in Pa. and Thomas shipped mine. They did a great job and it was not near 1,300.00. I would highly recommend him.

Maybe you can't take time to drive both ways but what about flying in and renting a u-Haul?

You still get to meet the Shirley's and cut the trip time down significantly.

Just a thought.

JoeMap

Back