Butt Question for the Brethren

wmrrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am heading up to Maine this weekend and I want to make a butt and bring it with me to eat on Super Bowl Sunday. I would need to make it Wednesday night for travel on Thursday. I usually smoke and eat same day.
Do I bring the butt to Maine cold, Reheat, then pull? Or Do I pull it before I bring it up to Maine.

I can vacuum pack the butt for travel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We've had the best results by breaking it into large chunks and then vacuum sealing. That way, you can take the bone out and it's a little easier to flatten out and reheat, but you don't lose as much moisture as you would pulling into bite size pieces.

cool it don't pull it.when you get it there heat it up slow then pull it.trust me it will stay moist that way.as soon as you pull it it will start to dry out

Cook as usual.
Pull as usual.
Cool pulled pork.
Vacuum seal in portions.
Reheat in bags with boiling water.
Cut open the bags and serve.
Enjoy.

When I pull the meat I reseason with some rub and douse it with a little apple juice. The AJ will help keep it hydrated when reheating. The meat fibers soak it right up.
I usually pull the meat hot, put AJ on it and toss it and then chill it. The next day when I pull the pan with pulled pork out of the fridge the AJ is GONE....straight into the meat.

Pork dries out 2 ways (IMO)....evaporation of the moisture in the meat fibers after pulling and during reheating in dry heat (more evaporation).
By adding apple juice, you're bolstering the moisture level in the meat fibers. By bagging it, you're keeping the moisture in there. By reheating IN BAGS you're preventing any moisture leaving.

I do pork butts a case at a time this way and freeze the vacuum bags with 1 and 2 lb portions. Just as good months later as it was the day it was pulled.

once pulled i warm it up in a pan with a little apple juice.i can eat it like that 3 or 4 days latter and its great.

Good luck getting there - you must have a tank to get through the snow!

Cook as usual.
Pull as usual.
Cool pulled pork.
Vacuum seal in portions.
Enjoy.

When I pull the meat I reseason with some rub and douse it with a little apple juice. The AJ will help keep it hydrated when reheating. The meat fibers soak it right up.
I usually pull the meat hot, put AJ on it and toss it and then chill it. The next day when I pull the pan with pulled pork out of the fridge the AJ is GONE....straight into the meat.

Pork dries out 2 ways (IMO)....evaporation of the moisture in the meat fibers after pulling and during reheating in dry heat (more evaporation).
By adding apple juice, you're bolstering the moisture level in the meat fibers. By bagging it, you're keeping the moisture in there. By reheating IN BAGS you're preventing any moisture leaving.

I do pork butts a case at a time this way and freeze the vacuum bags with 1 and 2 lb portions. Just as good months later as it was the day it was pulled.

I would follow this man's advice. I have adopted this method when I have leftovers and when I bring pulled pork to work for folks who ask for it. I have never had a complaint. Reheating in the bag (IMO) is important. Not sure what thread I saw it on, Wampus, but thanks for the great freezing tips!

Heck, for lunch this week, I am eating off of a pound of smoked pulled chicken I cooked about nine months ago and froze following this method. I haven't had a dry piece yet.

I agree with the plan Wampus described. I wrap my butts when they get the perfect mahogany color I love. When they are done, I will pull them and pour the juices from the foil into the pulled pork. Add a little more rub and mix. All the juices get absorbed back into the meat. Vacuum seal and freeze. Reheat in the bag with boiling water and it comes out hot, tender, and juicy...

I agree, but don't forget the rest period before pulling...

Cook as usual.
Pull as usual.
Cool pulled pork.
Vacuum seal in portions.
Enjoy.

Vacuum Packed Butts

Cook as usual.
Pull as usual.
Cool pulled pork.
Vacuum seal in portions.
Enjoy.

I pulled it after it rested and put in bags and vacuum sealed. Since I am eating this on Sunday can I refrigerate or should I freeze. How long can cooked pulled pork - vacuumed sealed - stay in the fridge before it goes bad?

Vac Pak, tie to roof of car, thaw upon arrival and reheat. ;D

This is the most Foodsafe...Wampus is the most sane method....

I've had pretty good success with cpw's large chunk way.....start to heat & just break the chunks down a bit & maybe add AJ if it needs.......

The only small downside I've had with pulling all the way down first is it can get a little too shreadded from handling....

Have fun & drive careful...esp. if the pork is on top of the car.....:-o

Cook as usual.
Pull as usual.
Cool pulled pork.
Vacuum seal in portions.
Enjoy.

Agreed. Pull, vaccum seal, dunk in ice water. This will cool fast enough to stay safe and congeal fat.

Make sure to cut the corner off the vacuum bag to avoid pork explosion. This method assumes you have a vaccum sealer and a way to boil a large pot of water for reheat.

I have never cut the corner off or had an explosion. I usually put the unopened bag in a pot, fill with water, bring to a boil, turn off the stove and put a lid on the pot. Wait about 10 - 15 mins, remove bag and open.

I have never cut the corner off or had an explosion. I usually put the unopened bag in a pot, fill with water, bring to a boil, turn off the stove and put a lid on the pot. Wait about 10 - 15 mins, remove bag and open.

I will give this a try next time. I guess if the VS does its job there should be no air to heat up and expand.

I will give this a try next time. I guess if the VS does its job there should be no air to heat up and expand.
Correct:
There should be no ballooning of the vac bags.

Back