Austin Restaurant Recommendations

Boston Smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Six college buddies are getting together for the weekend in Austin. None of us have been there before. I'd personally have no problem waiting 5 hours in line at Franklin's, but these guys aren't as nuts about BBQ as I am. Plus, they sell out at lunch anyway. Can anyone recommend a good sit-down restaurant for dinner that has great brisket, ribs, sausage, etc., good beer selection, A/C and takes reservations? Two that looked good in my search were Lambert's Down Town BBQ and Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew. We'll be staying at Barton Creek if that helps. Thanks!

Pretty good list right there. Don't pass up on the good tex mex either. I crave Chuy's all the time.

Burger Tex Airport Blvd. across street is a seafood store that cooks fresh while you watch.

Yeah the problem is that most of the good BBQ places are only open until they sell out. If this were me I'd probably go to County Line on the Lake. Try the beef ribs. The food is better than average and it's just a cool place. Make sure you go to the lake location. The hill location is right next to Barton Creek but not as good IMO.

If you see anything that says Salt Like you should understand that the meat there is mediocre. You go there for the atmosphere. It's a good place to have a beer but don't expect meat nirvana.

I'd like to echo the sentiment about tex mex. You have to make it a point to eat some good tex mex while down here. Personally I'd recommend Matt's El Rancho on South Lamar. That place is an Austin institution.

Have fun playing Barton Creek. I went to high school right there close to the course and had the opportunity to play a few times. Really nice facility.

Burger Tex Airport Blvd. across street is a seafood store that cooks fresh while you watch.

You ever had the burgers at Little Red Wagon on 79 heading east out of Round Rock? By far the best grease burgers in existence

Here's some of places I hit back in May.
The wife and I are resting up today from our wonderful trip to central Texas on a BBQ adventure. We flew into Austin and spent a week traveling to the top bbq joints in Texas. Many of the place we visited have a world following. We met some amazing people and ate some amazing food. This was a BBQ lovers bucket list of all bucket lists. I'll try to give a run down of where we went and a something about them.
Snows BBQ- open one day a week and was our favorite place. Tootsie and Terry are great people.

Louis Mueller - This is one of the most famous joints in the world. Beef ribs are great.

Southside Market - Lamb ribs and sausage great. As was the sauce.

Stiles Switch - loved the fact that you could eat bbq later in the evening.

Blacks BBQ - Old school bbq over 80 years and still going strong. Tons of great sides and my favorite sausage of the trip.

Smitty BBQ - the oldest bbq joint in the state. Unbelievable old smoky great history.

Kreuz market - huge place great smoked pork chop.

Old 300 BBQ - Blanco TX, huge brisket and sausage sandwich. Plus smoked cheese cake.

Franklin BBQ - this is the best of the best. This food is everything and then some. We waited 3 1/2 hours and it was every bit worth it.

Valintinas - had breakfast tacos loaded mesquite smoked brisket.

la Barbecue - next to Franklins this was the second best we ate.

We also had the Texas size doughnut from Round Rock Doughnuts these were featured on the on the travel channel and the food network. A lot of the places we ate at were also featured on TV shows.

Thanks for the feedback! We're going to try County Line for that dinner. But fortunately, we're there for 4 days, so I plan to try to hit as many places as possible. Looking forward to playing Barton Creek as well. My buddies are golf nuts. Four rounds in 2 days. I'm fine with 1 round per day and then waiting in line for some great brisket.

Lotsa great places already mentioned. Moving a group around isn't always easy, so Stiles Switch comes to mind since they have great food, a great atmosphere (there's a patio with bands sometime playing, a bar, etc.) and you don't have to worry about them running out. If you can get to Snow's, by all means do it. There's a great Tex Mex place called Tacos More as well - much more on the casual side (which I like!) and the food is great.

Another vote for Stiles Switch. Cool folks doing great que.

Back