Party of 80-100 people. Help please.

cayenneman

Reaction score
Ive done some cooking for large crowds before but most were vends. Someone contacted me about a wedding rehearsal dinner for around 80-100 people. She said they wanted ribs, chicken (some white and leg quarters) and pulled pork. Also sides. I need help with figuring out portion sizes for the proteins. The party will be a mix of male and female, mostly adults 30ish-50ish in age. How would you figure out how much to cook regarding proteins? Would you do a 3-4 oz portion of pulled pork, a 3 bone rack of ribs and a piec of chicken for 100 people? Or is that overkill? Or should the person having the party decide? Looking for any nuggets of wisdom y'all have to share. Thanks a bunch!

I can't answer your question. But I have been asked to do the same thing at the end of this month, so I am very much looking forward to the answers.

That sounds like a lot of meat per person (if I understood you correctly). Not the pulled pork, but all 3 for each.

Waiting for more experienced people to answer.

Joe

There are basically two categories of selling BBQ. Vending and Catering.

Vending can be done as "road side", event, etc. It is basically you going out and "offering" a food product to the masses and hopefully finding people who will accept your offer in exchange for you "fee/price". i.e. the "contract" if formed at the point of delivery of goods. This type of food sales requires one to "guess" at the amount to prepare. This "guess" can be based on past event history, past actual sales, etc.

Catering is an entirely different animal. Catering is where a person (customer) comes to you and asks that you provide a service to them. Basically the "contract" occurs up front. It is entered into before any product is chosen or prepared. You present your product/pricing and the customer then tells you what and how much they are contracting for.

IMO your event is truly a catered one. If you attempt to treat it as a vend you will jeopardize your profit. It is my belief that you should have the customer decide on product & quantities and sign a detailed contract with a non-refundable 50% deposit. You CAN give the customer "advice", based on your knowledge, of how much food an average person consumes, etc. But let them make the final decision. Otherwise you will end up with waste/want and it will all be "your fault".

In my experience I would suggest to the customer 3 oz of meat, two bones & a 50/50 mix of white/dark chicken. Tell them that very few people will take all three of these items so they would have a built in buffer. BUT have them make the final decision. Remember, this is NOT a vend. You are being contracted to supply what they order.

caveat: this is how we cater but is absolutely not the only way to do it, but we believe it is the most profitable and offers the most satisfying outcome for both parties involved. :-D

There are basically two categories of selling BBQ. Vending and Catering.

Vending can be done as "road side", event, etc. It is basically you going out and "offering" a food product to the masses and hopefully finding people who will accept your offer in exchange for you "fee/price". i.e. the "contract" if formed at the point of delivery of goods. This type of food sales requires one to "guess" at the amount to prepare. This "guess" can be based on past event history, past actual sales, etc.

Catering is an entirely different animal. Catering is where a person (customer) comes to you and asks that you provide a service to them. Basically the "contract" occurs up front. It is entered into before any product is chosen or prepared. You present your product/pricing and the customer then tells you what and how much they are contracting for.

IMO your event is truly a catered one. If you attempt to treat it as a vend you will jeopardize your profit. It is my belief that you should have the customer decide on product & quantities and sign a detailed contract with a non-refundable 50% deposit. You CAN give the customer "advice", based on your knowledge, of how much food an average person consumes, etc. But let them make the final decision. Otherwise you will end up with waste/want and it will all be "your fault".

In my experience I would suggest to the customer 3 oz of meat, two bones & a 50/50 mix of white/dark chicken. Tell them that very few people will take all three of these items so they would have a built in buffer. BUT have them make the final decision. Remember, this is NOT a vend. You are being contracted to supply what they order.

caveat: this is how we cater but is absolutely not the only way to do it, but we believe it is the most profitable and offers the most satisfying outcome for both parties involved. :-D

Thanks a bunch. I have been checking around and like you said, most people offer "Ribs and 1 meat or ribs and 2 meats and 2-3 sides". Very sound advice and thanks a bunch!

Great explanation bizznessman. 3 meat selections is a lot. I would suggest to the customer to choose between the pp & ribs, & pair it with the chicken. You could even do pulled chicken & ribs to split the difference. Good luck

Downtownleland bought up a great point. I would agree that a "3 meat" option is not the norm.

Following his advice of suggesting to the customer to choose just "2 meats" will be a benefit to you and to them. As a rule that is the way we do it as well. What that will do is to reduce the amount of "waste" you will have and allow the guests a simpler task of making a choice (which usually seems a monumental task for them) :wink:

I have been checking around and like you said, most people offer "Ribs and 1 meat or ribs and 2 meats and 2-3 sides".
unlimited ribs? I doubt...

Back