Cost for a party of 300

fuzz16f

Found some matches.
Reaction score
How much should I charge for a graduation party 300 people ribs and brisket I figured 40 racks of ribs and cook 100 pounds of brisket cooked 50# should that be enough meat for everyone should I do the times three or should I charge by the pound thanks for the help

I am interested in the answers you'll get from these pros. I enjoy the numbers.

40 racks should come in around 480 individual ribs = 1 1/2 each... I think your short by around 10 additional racks (= 2 ribs each)

The 50 Lbs. of Cooked brisket at a minimum of 1/4 Lbs (4oz.) serving = 200 servings. 50 additional Lbs brisket (25 Lbs cooked) = 75 lbs cooked = 300 4oz. servings ea.

I'm not sure what the eating mix will be but I've got buddies that will consume 4 ribs PLUS at least 1/3rd Lbs each. Its hard to guess but these guys will be asking age group, and number of guy vs. girls etc. I could very well be off as I'm not an experienced caterer, just a numbers guy. Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity.

I've cooked for lots of graduation events. Questions I'd need answers to is if this is a High School and the guests will be hitting multiple parties or a college grad for only family and close friends that are not likely to be eating anyplace else? If high school the majority of guests will have just left 4 or 5 other parties and ate at each. They won't be able to eat 2 ribs and 4oz of beef not to mention sides. Paents really get upset when they have double the food than they really needed especially at todays prices.

I'd be at $15-18pp for brisket, ribs and 2 sides. If you are planning on just the meats I'd throw 2 sides in there and cater the meal.

I've cooked for lots of graduation events. Questions I'd need answers to is if this is a High School and the guests will be hitting multiple parties or a college grad for only family and close friends that are not likely to be eating anyplace else? If high school the majority of guests will have just left 4 or 5 other parties and ate at each. They won't be able to eat 2 ribs and 4oz of beef not to mention sides. Paents really get upset when they have double the food than they really needed especially at todays prices.

Just curious, but wouldn't you want the parents to make the final decision on the amount of food? That way if the "estimating" turns out horribly wrong it wouldn't be on you? I can see giving your input but I'd hate to know I made a decision like that and ended up flubbing the dub, then asking for the balance of the payment. :twitch:

Just curious, but wouldn't you want the parents to make the final decision on the amount of food? That way if the "estimating" turns out horribly wrong it wouldn't be on you? I can see giving your input but I'd hate to know I made a decision like that and ended up flubbing the dub, then asking for the balance of the payment. :twitch:

This is EXACTLY how we do our catering. The Customer tells us how much of everything THEY decide they need and it is written up in a contract with a 50% up front nonrefundable deposit (to cover 100% of our food costs and some specific overhead costs). We also will give "suggestions" based on our knowledge of the business but we DO NOT make the decision as to the quantities that are ordered. This practice put an end to the "but you should have known how much was needed" statements we were subjected to. :becky:

HighSchool graduation no sidesjust brisket and ribs

$24 per slab and $18lb on brisket, but I only sell this way when vending. Your profit is in the sides. Example is for brisket & ribs with 2 sides and buns and sauce I'd get $16.75 per person, that's $5025.00 for 300 people. By charging vending prices by the lb for ribs and brisket for 300 you would be around $3600.00

Last edited:
I'm interested in the answer to Fuzz' question; "How much food and what is the charge?" I presume the parents are asking you for input on food amounts as you are all they have for experienced input.

A good question above was, is this the main designation or are guests jumping from one venue to another and another?

What is the mix of people, age, sex, etc.?

What and how many sides will be there?

How many hours are they serving or is it a specific time to eat?

Your question is a good one. It could benefit caterers as well as families here on the forum for future gatherings.

Back