I was outbid, what gives?

My question is, does anyone ask what venue is booked?

I rarely do the cheaper halls and venues. There's no money there.

Now, if they booked their party at a country club or upscale venue, I'll give a bid, and a sample for four. I nail it every time for $15/pp.

Know your clientele before bidding.

An Update!

First of all, thank you for advice and support. This sight is amazing for helping each other out!

The "Caterer" that beat me for that bid has catered a couple local activities that I was able to attend. We had bbq pork and bbq chicken. Both were shredded. They used 4 ounce buns. The chicken was chicken breast (I use boneless, skinless thighs and hand chop) It was so finely shredded and heavily sauced that we couldn't figure out which was the chicken and which was the pork. The pork, was shredded pork loin, also heavily sauced. I was told that they cook it to 185 degrees and then shred it finely. Beans absolutely sucked.

I just got underbid again by him for a one meat, two side meal.... ugghhh!
It is interesting, if you go to his website, his catering menu does not list prices, he asks customers to call for prices....

This is getting annoying... People around here do not know what good BBQ is, and what it costs...

An Update!

First of all, thank you for advice and support. This sight is amazing for helping each other out!

The "Caterer" that beat me for that bid has catered a couple local activities that I was able to attend. We had bbq pork and bbq chicken. Both were shredded. They used 4 ounce buns. The chicken was chicken breast (I use boneless, skinless thighs and hand chop) It was so finely shredded and heavily sauced that we couldn't figure out which was the chicken and which was the pork. The pork, was shredded pork loin, also heavily sauced. I was told that they cook it to 185 degrees and then shred it finely. Beans absolutely sucked.

It is interesting, if you go to his website, his catering menu does not list prices, he asks customers to call for prices....

This is getting annoying... People around here do not know what good BBQ is, and what it costs...

I'm thinking you may need some "Customer Experiances" to hand to your potential clients. Something that say's, "We had an important party to throw and were concerned about the impression we portrayed to our guests. Our guests were not just happy but complementary about the catering". ... Something that speaks to the "quality" that you provide but points out the effects/possible disasters that can be the out come of going "cheap" on presentation. Pictures, client recommendation, guest's remarks and success stories. I would be embarrassed to give nothing but the best to my freinds, family, business associates and guests. You need to speak to that "NEED" that the buyer has... IMHO.

An Update!

The problem is if these people actually like what he's doing it is going to be hard for you to outbid him. Unfortunately (and to some degree I understand) there are people that weigh heavily on price as much as they do on quality. We've got caterers around here that "cater" to those type people and then we've got caterers that simply do not do business with these type people for that very reason. They refuse to lower their quality in order to lower their prices. So they "cater" to those that don't mind paying the higher prices for a better product.

I'm thinking you may need some "Customer Experiances" to hand to your potential clients. Something that say's, "We had an important party to throw and were concerned about the impression we portrayed to our guests. Our guests were not just happy but complementary about the catering". ... Something that speaks to the "quality" that you provide but points out the effects/possible disasters that can be the out come of going "cheap" on presentation. Pictures, client recommendation, guest's remarks and success stories. I would be embarrassed to give nothing but the best to my freinds, family, business associates and guests. You need to speak to that "NEED" that the buyer has... IMHO.

I do like this.
The original business that I lost the bid to was to one of the elite banks in the area. They were going to feed up to 300 of their clients. I honestly thought a bank would want the best for something like this. But I think price did win out.

We have gone head to head with this caterer for some local booster club activities, and we get reviews that says we are head and shoulders over them.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

I went to a marketing seminar that had a very good speaker. He talked about some different directions that advertiser's go to get an almost subliminal message across to the customer. Example; Michelin Tire shows a baby gliding along sitting in a Michelin Tire. The subliminal message is, "Trust the safety of your most loved ones only to a Michelin Tire". Maybe in addition to some references (names and phone #'s), pictures and a list of more prestigious clients, you could present the attention you give to food safety. Show pictures of Cambros, expensive thermometers used for constant monitoring of foods etc. Have handy the article of the Presbyterian Church function in Union Town, PA where 36 people were treated for food poisoning because of improper food handling or more likely ignorance of food safety. Show your certificates. Offer free use of a Cambro or Alto Shamm if they are serving themselves. Talk a little about your insurance coverage. Your competitor may have all of this but your client will only know YOU DO! Sorry to ramble but as said above, there is great value that not all care about but the clients YOU WANT will I believe...
Good luck to you!
Gerry

I went to a marketing seminar that had a very good speaker. He talked about some different directions that advertiser's go to get an almost subliminal message across to the customer. Example; Michelin Tire shows a baby gliding along sitting in a Michelin Tire. The subliminal message is, "Trust the safety of your most loved ones only to a Michelin Tire". Maybe in addition to some references (names and phone #'s), pictures and a list of more prestigious clients, you could present the attention you give to food safety. Show pictures of Cambros, expensive thermometers used for constant monitoring of foods etc. Have handy the article of the Presbyterian Church function in Union Town, PA where 36 people were treated for food poisoning because of improper food handling or more likely ignorance of food safety. Show your certificates. Offer free use of a Cambro or Alto Shamm if they are serving themselves. Talk a little about your insurance coverage. Your competitor may have all of this but your client will only know YOU DO! Sorry to ramble but as said above, there is great value that not all care about but the clients YOU WANT will I believe...
Good luck to you!
Gerry

I agree with this. To reach the customer that mostly focuses on price, they must be convinced that it is better to pay a higher price. Coming at it from a food safety angle is a very good tool to do that. Even though the competitor more than likely has the same type insurance and follows the same type prep. :loco:

Back