Scale and Thermal Printer for Cutting Station

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting closer with our new brick & mortar location. So many details to finish.

Question for those of you ahead of me: Did any of you choose to use a scale with a thermal printer to print individual meat weights and prices?

Why did you choose to include this or not to?

Right now, we weigh all the portions and round up for the customers benefit. So if they order 1/2 pound of brisket, I charge $11 and portion at least 1/2 a pound, giving the customer the small amounts above the weight they are paying for.

We went to the new Truth BBQ in Houston a couple weeks ago, and they weigh the portions and print a ticket for each protein ordered, charging you for the exact weight you got, even if it's a little more than you asked for.

Anyone do this second technique, where you charge the customer for the exact weight?

If any of you, do use the scale and thermal printer, what scale/printer do you like?

We don't when operating our food truck however but that's just a few times a year. If I was running a 7 day operation I probably would. I know every deli I've ever purchased something from does it this way. If you ask for 1/2 lb of something they get it as close as possible but you pay for the actual weight of the product.

I'm getting ready to open my brick and mortar and I will be using a scale and printer to charge for the exact weight and better control costs. The Clover POS system I'm looking at offers a scale that links directly to the POS. Not sure this would work well with the line flow so I'm also looking at scale and printer below.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/to...MIjLr6krXw4AIVl4RpCh13CwruEAQYAiABEgJyL_D_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tor-rey-dt-2-portion-control-thermal-printer/166DT2PCTRL.html

It's easy to ask the customer "it's a little over, that ok?"

You give away just 30 ounces of brisket a day on a serving line, 300 days a year at $24.00 a pound and you just lost $13,500.00

I would do exact, just as pointed out by InthePitBBQ. In our business, every half once of meat counts, and a couple nickles for every customer will add up quickly. What do you buy that rounds the price down in your favor?

Back