Transporting a cooked hog?

Bourbon Barrel BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to transport a cooked hog or is it always on site? I've cooked several hogs onsite for events but recently I have the chance to cook at a commissary kitchen with all the comforts associated with it. I like the idea of having guaranteed power, water, accessible bathroom, etc. The problem I see is the hog falling apart bouncing down the road. Any thoughts?

An event I was a part of ordered two whole hogs and had them transported to the site. I don't recall what they used as support under the hog but they arrived racecar style on a board/plate/cutting board wrapped in a lot of plastic wrap to keep the hog in place and prevent drippage. They were transported under blankets to help keep them warm.

I transport 100% of them. I cook them at our location and them keep them in the cooker for transport. I stoke the fire and shut down all dampers while driving. I'll stop every 15-20 minutes along the side of the road and open the drafts and get the temp back up and shut the drafts down and take off. I've been doing it that way for 8 years and never had an issue. I do limit my distance to an hour and 45 minutes away so with stops I'm there in 2.5 hours or less. Once on site, everything is still so hot you wouldn't want to hand pull without insulated gloves on.

I've transported on the pit as well. Only I don't stop to stoke any fires or try to bring anything back up to temperature. I have just made the trip and brought the pit up to temp when on site. A whole hog isn't going to cool that fast so getting it back to a reasonable temperature typically isn't much of an issue.

Back