Want some of my pie?

AussieMatt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had a hankering for an Aussie meat pie and being that they're not available around these parts, I had to make them myself. I'm going to tweak the recipe slightly but they were pretty bloody good.

Attachments

• aussie meat pie.jpg
    aussie meat pie.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 192
  • aussie meat pie 2.jpg
    aussie meat pie 2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 194
I could go for one of those maybe two. Looks and sounds great. Only thing for me is no catsup but to each his own!!!!!! How about sharing your recipe? Did you cook in your oven or on a smoker or grill.
Thanks for posting

I could go for one of those maybe two. Looks and sounds great. Only thing for me is no catsup but to each his own!!!!!! How about sharing your recipe? Did you cook in your oven or on a smoker or grill.
Thanks for posting

In the oven, I don't know that they'd be good with the smoke.

Here's the recipe for those asking, including the shortcrust pastry for the bottom and flaky pastry for the top.

Aussie meat pies

[FONT=Arial, serif]Ingredients: [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tbsp olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1.5 large brown onions, finely chopped [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1kg or 2lbs mince chuck [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1- 2 cups beef stock[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup ketchup[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp Vegemite[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp oregano[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]arrowroot/corn flour and water for slurry [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Short crust and flaky pastry[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg, beaten with a little milk[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Method:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mince. Cook until partly browned. Add onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add stock, oregano, ketchup, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Vegemite to mince. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add slurry mixture. Simmer for 20 minutes, remove from heat and let the mixture cool. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a baking tray into oven. Grease 4” base pie pans. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cut circles from flaky pastry. Line base and sides of pans and trim pastry. Fill with mince. Brush rims with egg wash. Cut circles from short-crust pastry. Place over meat. Press to seal with a fork. Brush with egg. Make a cut in the centre for steam to escape.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Place pies onto hot tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
Shortcrust Pastry

[FONT=Arial, serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]2 cups plain flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]4oz (125g) frozen butter, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]¼ tsp salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]2 eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]1 tbsp cold water [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]squeeze of lemon juice[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif]Method:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif]Place flour, butter and salt in the food processor. Process, using pulse, until butter is cut into the flour and the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif]Mix eggs, water and lemon juice.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif]With food processor running, pour liquid quickly through feed tube. Do use it all unless it’s necessary – stop pouring as soon as a ball of dough forms around the blade.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif]Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour before using.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Flaky Pastry[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups all purpose flour (plain flour) plus extra for dusting[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pinch of salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ tsp mustard powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup butter, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 tbsp ice water[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Method:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sift the flour into the bowl of a food processor with the salt and mustard powder.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]With the processor running at the slowest speed, add water, a bit at a time, until a dough ball forms. Do not add too much or the dough will be sticky. You want the dough soft.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Roll out dough for recipe very thinly, dusting with enough flour for the dough not to stick.[/FONT]

Matt, that looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Are they traditionally only made with meat or does it change the name of the pie if you add veggies aside from the sort of...vege---mite. Anyway, I will definitely take a slice of that!

Wow 2 different crusts. Very ambitious looks like your efforts surely paid off. Great meal for a cold dreary day at least here

Matt, that looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Are they traditionally only made with meat or does it change the name of the pie if you add veggies aside from the sort of...vege---mite. Anyway, I will definitely take a slice of that!

Thanks and no worries. You can put in whatever you like and just the name changes. Curry chicken, steak and kidney, steak and onion, make a chicken pot pie filling and whack that in. Call it whatever the filling is.

Back