New to Stickburning: Wood choices are Oak, Red Oak and Pecan

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright,

I had so much fun on my pair of 22.5 WSM's and my converted dryer, that I purchased a 22" pipe Offset last month (looks like a Yoder Witchia). And I'm having a blast cooking on it.

Local woods are mostly Oak. One supplier (who is not answering his phone at the moment) says his is Red Oak.

I can also find some Pecan.

2 Questions:

1.) Love your feedback on the strengths and drawbacks of Oak and Pecan.

2.) I'm finding it hard to get wood that has been seasoned (split and left covered) more than 3 months. How much better/easier to manage fire will I have with wood seasoned 9-12 months than this 3-4 month Oak I've been burning the last few weekends?

I've built my first wood rack to store the 1/2 chord of GREEN Oak that was supposed to be split 6 months ago, but was Cut 6 months ago and split last week. And am building another rack for my current-burning Oak that was split about 4 months ago and left covered.

I'm getting a sample tomorrow of some Pecan that was split 4 months ago and is covered. If I can manage it I'll get a chord of it for $250.

Love your feedback!

paul

P.S. Here is my most excellent wood-storage system, before I get the rack stained and in place...
IMG_0706.JPG

Pecan is good with almost anything. If I had to choose just one it would be pecan.

I agree with pjtexas1. The oaks are all great for cooking but I LOVE pecan, it's the sweeter and (in my opinion) better version of hickory.:thumb:

Pecan is awesome, and I just use it for smoking chunks.
Do not know about the BTU's vs. Oak, etc, for the stick burner.

Oak and pecan are both outstanding for smoking. Fortunately I have a abundance of both. More often than not, I run a 50/50 mix of oak and pecan in my Shirley offset. Kind of get the best of both worlds with this method. Again both are excellent on just about everything.

The oak that you have will not be ready to burn in your stick burner for at least a year and maybe longer. I have to season the oak I get here in Maine for 3 years before it can be used.

I've never used red oak. But I absolutely love white oak and pecan. Cant go wrong with either.

In looking for wood sources nearby, I haven't found any other close Pecan sources, so I'm going to buy the chord of Pecan, and I'll keep looking for seasoned Oak. This is fun!

Back