Beef Jerky Time!

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So yeah I got some top round and marinated it and sliced it for beef jerky. Time to cold smoke it. Hooray! I love beef jerky and haven't made it since christmas. It was a gift for my brothers and my dad then. So now it is for me. Fired up the WSM 14.5" for jerky duty. Also repurposed a smokey joe rack to add an extra rack. I figure 6 hours about 145-150 degrees with cherry wood smoke. Lump charcoal for fuel royal oak of course.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 303
thanks I would post some more pron but I don't mess with the cooker until it is done. I kind of have been tossing around the idea of using my jerky for a chef's choice in competition this year but no idea how that would be received. For now I am just playing with a recipe I got and today it got rewritten and overhauled.

Ok so I checked the jerky since it is at the earliest time it should be done and I am going to give it another 2 hours at least if not longer. Still wet but not as much. I think since I have 3 racks full of jerky it is going to take longer. The cold weather is helping keep the temps right where I want it. Here is an updated mid cook picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 258
Excellent brother. I've been lazy this winter but no excuse not to at least do some jerky. The next time I see some good lean round on sale I'm buying two!

Surprised you use Lump for such low temperatures.

I know this is going to sound bat **** crazy but this little smoker does not like briquettes. It is almost like it has a life of its own and refuses to be nice unless you give it lump charcoal. I have never gotten it to cook successfully without fighting it all day long using briquettes. Lump charcoal makes this smoker happy and runs easy all day long but you give it briquettes and it is going to fight you all day long. This little smoker loves lump charcoal and who am I to argue? It puts out some dang good food if you feed it lump charcoal.

Mmmmm jerky. I used to make jerky a lot with my electric dehydrator. But haven't since I've bought my WSM. I should change that

Was it good? Better in a smoker or dehydrator? Could you pull it off in a kamado?

Oh it was always good in the dehydrator. I haven't done it in my WSM, but I'd think it'd be much better.

Seems that if I'm going to the store and buying meat, I'm buying smokin' meat. :razz:

Ok, I *have* to do this. My arsenal at the moment is a Weber kettle and an offset - any chance I can cold smoke in an offset??

Found what I needed! Going to build a smoking chamber and run a dryer hose to it from the offset!!

Was it good? Better in a smoker or dehydrator? Could you pull it off in a kamado?
could not tell you that one. I have only made it on my smokers. Never owned a dehydrator. I think some guys do it on a kamado but I just got a kamado and that is really not my expertise as I am a beginner with my kamado.

Back