• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Amount of Smoke

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This weekend I smoked a pastrami using a gravity fed smoker and used Stubbs briquettes as my fuel smoking at 215*. My question is do these briquettes produce more smoke at lower temps? I typically smoke at 250* to 275* and at 215* there seemed to be a lot of smoke. Also are there any briquettes on the market that are all natural, produce little ash and low amounts of smoke?

I don't know about Stubb's and lower temps. I used it for years but always over 300. I stopped using it recently because there are a couple other options in my area that are all natural and don't have the smelly thick smoke at start up. Heck, I never got tbs with Stubb's in my cabinet but it never made the food taste bad. Do you have B&B available near you? I can get that here but prefer the HEB Grand Champion but that is a Texas grocer.

What is B&B? How about RO briquettes? How do they compare to Stubbs?

I usually only have problems with smoke if I don't have enough heat to cleanly burn the wood I'm using. I wonder if switching to wood chips for a lower temp smoke would help

What is B&B? How about RO briquettes? How do they compare to Stubbs?

B&B is a brand of charcoal that is sold in most Academy stores. I can find it at my local grocery store too. I don't think RO makes an all natural briquette. I never had an issue with B&B but Stubb's was cheaper. I do remember that the B&B held up really good after shutting down the fire and could be re-used on the next cook. It held up a little better than the Stubb's.

I don't use Stubb's briquettes, but I am wondering if trying to smoke that low was choking the fire out. How did you have your coals set up? For something low like that, I would suggest a snake method so only two or three coals are burning (well) at one time.

Back