Love some unwrapped ribs!

JoSal73

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've done wrapped a few times, mostly trying to duplicate Johnny Trigg's ribs. I can't really say I was that serious about chasing down his style. It was really one of my first attempts at ribs period and since he seemed to be the best on TV, that's what I researched and did.

Fast forward to several rib cases later, I never wrap anymore. The bark that gets created with unwrapped and temps at 275-300 is pretty great to me. Tenderness and moisture is still there, but definitely not as pronounced as with the foil wrapping. I really don't want to do it any other way now. Results are great and I love not having to mess with the smoker until they're done.

God bless the pig!

JfFt2FVl.jpg

bzd9susl.jpg

bFVw4Uyl.jpg

asJ4j4Pl.jpg

Those aRe really great looking. What are your times for the cook and what is the glaze? I have been giving a lot of thought to not wrapping. My last several batches of ribs have been overdone with no tug. I don't like mushy ribs.

Those aRe really great looking. What are your times for the cook and what is the glaze? I have been giving a lot of thought to not wrapping. My last several batches of ribs have been overdone with no tug. I don't like mushy ribs.

These were right around 4 hours at 275-300 ish. My heat tends to be a little strong to one side in the smoker, so I give them a 180 degree turn half way through the cook.

I usually do a simple BBQ glaze like Blues Hog original. These, however, were sauced with a mix of Plowboys En Fuego sauce plus some honey. Truth be told I wasn't really impressed with the Ployboys sauce...thus why I added the honey. I just wanted to burn through the last of the half gallon and that's what I used. I like Blues Hog original better personally.

I'll do a bend test every 20 minutes after 3.5 hours and when I think they're just about ready, I sauce and throw them back in for 20-30 minutes to let the sauce firm up a bit.

That's a personal favorite here too......nice bit of crisp to the bark, still juicy as all get out......right down the pipe on those !!!!!

Last edited:
I'm with ya on not wrapping. I rarely ever do that. Those look spot on to me!

Gave up on wrapping after I discovered vertical cooking in my WSM, only way to go, great ribs and quicker too!!

I cooked some untrimmed spares unwrapped yesterday. Those are making my mouth water.

I have a bit of a problem with tenderness and moisture if I don't wrap. But those look great!
Do you trim your ribs? I find that trimmed ribs are less moist and tender. Also, trimmed require a shorter cooking time and more hovering over during the cook.

Back