All I Wanted Was A Biscuit Recipe...

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...But I was given a treasure instead.

Last weekend Redhot and I went down to Decatur to visit my Mom, sisters, and the younger generations, for my Mom's 90th birthday party. It was a wonderful visit, and great to be with most of the family gathered in one place for the celebration. Even my oldest nephew (He'll be 50) drove 300 miles from Mobile just to be there for only a couple hours before he had to drive 300 back.

Yes, that was indeed a treasure, but back to the recipe. I had asked my mom for her drop biscuit recipe a couple months ago while there was a discussion of those in a thread. She said she'd send me a copy from her Fannie Farmer cook book, but both of us forgot about it until I mentioned it in the evening before we returned to Memphis and asked for the copy. What she gave me instead, was this...

fannie_zps2c0b361e.jpg

THE cook book I used as a reference when I was a child learning how to cook myself. This book has been well used, and well loved, and even now has the Redneck binding mod. This book is a reference, and is filled with a lot of information besides just recipes, and with the exception of a couple front piece page corners, is complete.

Check out the publishing date:

fannie1_zps259adbba.jpg

And it has my Mom's notes written in pencil all through it...

fannie2_zps4b8f21c6.jpg

It discusses menus and healthy cooking. Interesting to see the suggestions that were the guides before nutrition went nuts in the States in the late 60s/70s...

fannie9_zps4fc5b547.jpg

fannie91_zps08b3a288.jpg

A whole chapter on this subject. The index itself is 67 pages long. I looked up biscuit...

fannie6_zps17e46b5c.jpg

And found what I was looking for...

fannie7_zpsca933e32.jpg

The neat thing is it will start with the basic ingredients, then give numerous variations...

fannie8_zpse3d1bcfd.jpg

Even Meats are divided into chapters, with an introduction to the most popular cuts for the beginning serious cook...

fannie3_zps42ce99b0.jpg

It has tables and conversion charts galore.
So, as I said. A treasure. This is a book to be explored and not just read. And, it's a family thing.
Thanks for looking...
Guerry

Very cool, Guerry!

Boiled spare ribs? This must be the WP Ho cookbook! Your mom was one of us all along...

Hope she had a great day with her family! Hope you get to do more big days like this with her!

Very cool, Guerry!

Boiled spare ribs? This must be the WP Ho cookbook! Your mom was one of us all along...

Hope she had a great day with her family! Hope you get to do more big days like this with her!

Why do you think I posted that particular page? :thumb:
It is, still, a BOSTON cook book though. I loved seeing fat back and pigs feet listed as popular cuts. :becky:

Great find! My wife has one of the "Joy of Cooking" books that was her mom's before hers, it must be from the 50'sor 60's. It's my go to recipe book for a lot of things.

Thanks for sharing! I have my own copy of the Boston Cooking School Cookbook. Still has notes written in the margins from when my grandmother used it, notes from my father and a few of my own. I taught myself how to cook out of this book and it really is a treasure. I am happy to hear there are others who enjoy it as much as I do.

Nice find Guerry, I want me some boiled spareribs! Glad you had the opportunity to visit with the whole clan on a special day!

Very kool, and a true treasure full of priceless memories. I too have one that was the only cookbook Momma ever used it is among most valued possessions.

I have the 1934 edition that was my moms. That and her recipe collection are my prized memories of her.

Guerry you are really lucky that is an awesome book Please post some of the recipes when you try them Very nice for the B Day party

Finally the health food book I've been looking for! Meat, cheese, eggs and milk are protective foods and should appear regularly! :clap2:

Thanks for sharing! I have my own copy of the Boston Cooking School Cookbook. Still has notes written in the margins from when my grandmother used it, notes from my father and a few of my own. I taught myself how to cook out of this book and it really is a treasure. I am happy to hear there are others who enjoy it as much as I do.

Same here. It's the cookbook I've compared ALL others to ever since too.

Finally the health food book I've been looking for! Meat, cheese, eggs and milk are protective foods and should appear regularly! :clap2:

I think previous editions had lard instead of shortening for recipes though. At least the ones that don't use just the word "fat" as an ingredient. :becky::thumb:

Very valuable information for lots of reasons besides the great recipes in there.
When my grandmother passed away several years ago, many were discussing which painting or furniture item they wanted from her home. I quietly went to the kitchen and grabbed her cast iron skillet, coffee percolator that she used every day, and her recipe books and folders of recipe clippings.

Blessings,

Saulnier

Very cool!

When my grandmother passed I ended up with her "Larousse Gastronomique", a knife and some awesomely seasoned CI and some copper cookware. Love that old cookin' stuff!

Thanks for posting that recipe Degurre.
I just checked Amazon.com and there are several editions for sale there. One was a 1941 edition.

Contary to popular belief, lot of southern /Applachican receipe ,boil ribs and other cuts of pork, boil ribs and saurkraut make a wonderful dish, don't knock stuff ,if you haven't tried it

Truth. :thumb:

Very cool!

When my grandmother passed I ended up with her "Larousse Gastronomique", a knife and some awesomely seasoned CI and some copper cookware. Love that old cookin' stuff!

Bet you can't guess why I chose that particular penciled in note to take a picture of...:becky::thumb:

Back