9lb. Picnic Shoulder on UDS -advice

smokainmuskoka

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm planning to cook a picnic shoulder(bone-in)with about a 1/2" fat cap.

Any recommendations re: cap up/cap down/trim off/flip halfway through?

My intuitive choice would be fat cap up. The UDS will be running 275/325. I don't use any diffuser. I know some fat on the coals=flavor. My concern is too much fat.

Last edited:
Here is what I would do... trim the fat cap down to 1/8" and cook it fat cap down. Or, trim the fat cap altogether for the maximum amount of bark. But, since you are not using a diffuser, I would go with the first option.

Leave the cap on and cook fat down to protect the meat. You will only have a potential for flare ups from the fat when you remove the lid so work fast! If it does flare up on you slap the lid back on for a couple of minutes.

I run direct heat. Cut the cap off salt it drop it on a 300 when the bone wiggles like a 6 yr olds baby tooth it's done
should look something like this
Butt_zpse40f68fa.jpg

I go fat up.. I like to move my fire basket to one side of the drum and place the meat on the other. I dont have issues with flareups. My issue is when it drips on the coals too much it clogs the fire basket.

Lately I have just been leaving the skin on and putting it skin/fat side down on the UDS, seems like it helps protect the meat pretty well.

I go fat up.. I like to move my fire basket to one side of the drum and place the meat on the other. I dont have issues with flareups. My issue is when it drips on the coals too much it clogs the fire basket.

I also do the fat side up. I've been using a diffuser lately in my UDS, although I've done it without also. Haven't moved the basket to the side, as suggested here, but I may have to try that next time. I have also put the meat in a foil pan, sometimes with a rack. That keeps the oil/juice so I can use it instead of spray every hour or two. With fat up, I've always believed that the fat then renders down over/thru the meat. Good luck, I really don't think there's any right way. As long as you get that internal temp to about 195, you should be good.

OK - We're done.

I ended up deciding on fat cap down.

The shoulder was in the UDS for 9 hours. Temp fluctuated between 250/350. I had hoped to keep it closer to 275/325, but didn't get stressed about it going outside the target range. Off the UDS it at 5:30pm - probed like butter. I didn't bother checking the internal temp. I could tell it was ready. I let it cool under a foil temp for 1/2 an hour then pulled it by hand and some forks when my fingers needed to cool off. Mixed in some more rub the the shredded meat.

Served with broccoli slaw on blue corn tortillas. Shack Sauce on the side.
Lots of leftovers!

Attachments

• 100_2177.jpg
    100_2177.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_2180.jpg
    100_2180.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_2182.jpg
    100_2182.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 211
Back