Stumps Baby cook time

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am seriously considering a Stumps Baby and was wondering what kind of cook times @ 225F to expect from a full load of lump? Any other experiences/comments/concerns with the Baby are most welcome as well.

thanks in advance.

Very disappointing

That's certainly not what I expected or wanted to hear or see. IMO that is unacceptable quality. They didn't make it right? If not, I may need to rethink my selection. Wanting to add something a little more hands-off... been a stick burner guy for years... geting old... geting lazy...

Considered a number of cabinets, but just can't get excited about messin with water pans. That said, any good recommendations for a long burning 900-1200 sq in charcoal smoker?

Many thanks.

Yes there were issues with the smoker I got. I would not cross stumps off your list. They are bad a$$ cookers and I'm happy to say I own one. Thad is a man of his word and will do whatever it takes to make it right. Even offered to come to my house and pick it up himself. When I got it home and seen it for the first time I had some buyers remorse. Should have waited till Monday and talked to him first before posting about it. Things got way out of hand here fast. Don't let this one time thing change your mind. If I had to do it over again I would still buy a stumps. They will stand behind their product.

That's certainly not what I expected or wanted to hear or see. IMO that is unacceptable quality. They didn't make it right? If not, I may need to rethink my selection. Wanting to add something a little more hands-off... been a stick burner guy for years... geting old... geting lazy...

Considered a number of cabinets, but just can't get excited about messin with water pans. That said, any good recommendations for a long burning 900-1200 sq in charcoal smoker?

Many thanks.

Hang on, you should go read the conclusion to the issues, it's impressive!

I am seriously considering a Stumps Baby and was wondering what kind of cook times @ 225F to expect from a full load of lump? Any other experiences/comments/concerns with the Baby are most welcome as well.

thanks in advance.

I have a baby that I bought new in 2010. When I cook butts and briskets, I do them at night. With that said, I load up full with a mix of lump and Stubbs and I can go all night on one load @ 225. I do run a BBQ Guru and that helps out a lot.

I've heard Stumps had some management changes over the years and it seems their products are not as perfect as they used to be.

I agree the smoker is great and it has held up very well over the years. I don't use it as often as I did but still gets used once or twice a month.

There are other smokers similar to Stumps you should look at before making a final decision.

Many thanks.

I've been very happy with my Lone Star Grillz cabinet smoker.

I had a Baby and now have a Stretch and would buy another in a heartbeat.
You will have plenty of run time with one load of coals to get some sleep. I tend to babysit mine because thats how I like to cook.

I've had an XL Baby for 3 years and love it.
The quality is 100% perfect, no issues.
But with ANY company, things can happen,
The true worth of a company is what they do, when an issue arises, and it looks like Stumps does the right thing.

As per the length of overnight cooking time per load of lump,
It depends on the temperature outside,
In the summer with warmer temps, 8 hours is easy, in the winter when it's close to freezing,
Sometimes only 6 hours, but I live in northern Washington state, so you have to factor in the climate. Certainly acceptable.

The bottom line is
I love my Stumps XL Baby, and would buy one again, in 1/2 a heartbeat.

BTW,
Cooking a Prime Rib Roast today

Last edited:
I have a Classic. Love it and have none of the issues that are described in the other thread. My Classic will run for 18+ hours (maybe closer to 24?) on a full load but that's more lump than the Baby will hold.

I also have a Baby XL and love it, craftsmanship of a Rolls Royce. I get 12+ hours burn from a full fuel flume.

I had bridge issue with lump, but never with charcoal, Add a IQ110 on that Baby stumps and you'll be happy not baby sitting your cooker, long cook time for sure

Back