Westmont, IL Red, White, and BBQ - a new wrinkle?

We're planning on both too. Excited about the challenge.
I'm glad this thread was put up. Good ideas and honestly things I'd not thought of yet like meat inspection, awards & boxes.

Great contest. Since Pitmasters won't be there this year (I assume), hopefully we'll not be quite as crammed in as last year.

Its always crammed Wampus. One thing they don't really listen to me on suggestions in our committee. (Politicians on the BBQ committee and can't win against them.)

Some new updates. Remember if you have any concerns or questions, you can also send me a PM if you dont want to post here.

There are 50 teams signed up for the Sunday contest and 30+ for the Saturday contest. The number of large spots spots are selling out fast and if you need one, I would sign up now. It looks like pulling in in on Thursday May be an option, but you need to arrange with Jim. If you want to be by another team, you need to be there together. Power will not be turned on until noon on Friday, plan accordingly.

All boxes will be passed out on Friday. There will be 2 meat inspections, one Friday and one Saturday. There will also be 2 awards. They are scheduled for4:00 PM, so if they are able to get copies done, they'll go. Most copy centers are are closed on memorial day weekend. please do not plan on moving your car if you leave it on site. There will be no movement of vehicles once placed. THE SIZE OF SPOTS WILL STRICKLY BE ENFORCED!! If you have a trailer 21', plan on a larger spot. It will be enforced. Black box sounds cool, but they do not talk about it in front of me. I also want some of that $1000!!! ;)

There is more that I am forgetting about, but let me know if you have questions. We are meeting every 2 weeks now and then then we will meet weekly. So I have their ear. Remember that there politicians on the committee, so at times, my voice is silenced. I am the voice for the cooks, and that is how I want it. Trust me when I say that they are not always happy with me on some recommendations, but they respect what I am trying to do. And that is to take care of the cooks.

Can you suggest Jim gets a second email that doesn't take an act of congress to allow new email address to go through.

Is Chris' email listed? If anyone needs it, send me a message. Jim is also a Trustee for Westmont, so he has village obligations as well.

Chris' email is on the site also Scottie. I copy both of them when emailing. BTW, if anyone is coming that hasn't been before, Scottie is not lying about it being crammed. If you aren't there early and are using anything bigger than an EZ-Up, you may have trouble getting to your spot if you wait until later to get in.

Those thinking of getting there Saturday, bear in mind they will be letting the backyard folks in first in the morning, so you'd likely be better off arriving Friday (or even Thursday if they'll let you) even if you aren't cooking the Fri-Sat comp. If you don't, you'll have to wait until all the backyard folks are in.

They have a new load in procedure in place. They won't be leaving spaces open. So if you want to be next to someone, that is why you need to get there at the same time.... As for the amateurs getting preference, nothing has been decided by the committee, so that isn't necessarily correct. There is also a pro contest going on and we aren't going to let teams be driving around and backing up trailers, et al. while teams are trying to compete. We have been discussing rhe possibility of putting the Saturday arriving pro teams on the street. But again, nothing is decided. If you aren't cooking the Friday?Saturday contest, you can't pull in on Thursday.
And if you don't arrange with them ahead of time, no pulling i n on Thursday either...

Please, any questions, get a hold of me, Chris or Jim. Things are getting changed this year and hopefully it is for the better.

Hey Scottie, are there any RV parks close to the comp site? Not making any plans yet, just askin' :roll:.

This is probably the closest, Dave, but it's not that close. Probably 45 minutes.

http://www.kaneforest.com/ForestPreserveView.aspx?ID=11

Blackwell is a "little" closer, but you'll need a permit and that weekend, probably pretty busy.
http://www.dupageforest.com/Recreation/Activities_and_Facilities/Camping.aspx?ekfrm=339

Edit: I took out Glen Ellyn and Darien locations, as that looks like non-RV which wasnt what the question was.

(Ron, move to Dupage, you'll love it here!)

Last edited:
Good catch, Bill! I didn't know that Blackwell had rv sites. I thought it was all tent camping.

Back