Pickled egg recipe?

TIMMAY

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I searched, and found a couple threads sayin this and that but not a concrete recipe. Anybody willing to share their super awesome pickled egg recipe?

Originally from Northeastern Pennsylvania, I grew up with this recipe and continue to use it . I'm pretty sure it's a Polish tradition.
1 15oz can of beets
1 onion thinly sliced
12 hard boiled eggs peeled
1/4cup white sugar
1/2cup white vinegar
Drain liquid from beets into saucepan,place eggs,onions an beets in a large container. Add sugar and vinegar to red beet liquid in saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15min.Pour red beet mixture into container with eggs,onion and beets. Seal and refrigerate. I usually leave them for at least three days before eating, the longer they sit , the better they taste. enjoy!

I love pickled eggs but have never been a fan of beets so I substitute a store bought jar of sliced jalapeno's. The above recipe looks great, just prepare as he said and at the end dump the jalapeno's and the liquid into the jar, don't boil the jap liquid. I have also added a couple tablespoons of pickling spices to the mixture.

Scott

Originally from Northeastern Pennsylvania, I grew up with this recipe and continue to use it . I'm pretty sure it's a Polish tradition.
1 15oz can of beets
1 onion thinly sliced
1/4cup white sugar
1/2cup white vinegar
Drain liquid from beets into saucepan,place eggs,onions an beets in a large container. Add sugar and vinegar to red beet liquid in saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15min.Pour red beet mixture into container with eggs,onion and beets. Seal and refrigerate. I usually leave them for at least three days before eating, the longer they sit , the better they taste. enjoy!

My mom is from that same area, and that's pretty much how she made them, too.

CD

The eggs turn pink, you can wow the women in your life for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

here's how I make them..

Pickled Eggs

here's how I make them..

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
~ 1 cup water
2 Tblsp mustard
1 Tblsp salt
1 Tblsp Cellery seeds
1 Tblsp musterd seeds
1 Tblsp whole Black pepper korns
6 cloves
3 - 4 rawits (== little green peppers)
3-4 bay leaves
2 medium onions, sliced thin and separated

12 peeled hardboiled eggs
1 glass jar, somthing like this..
2Q==

mix all ingredients for the pickle and bring to a boil,
then let simmer on low heat for 10-15 mins.
Refridgerate for a good week or more to bring the eggs up to taste!

1 15oz can of beets
1 onion thinly sliced
1/4cup white sugar
1/2cup white vinegar
Sounds like Pennsylvania Dutch Eggs.They are O.K. but Too sweet for me.

Thanks for the help guys. And yes, that's exactly what my friends wanna do. Eat pickled eggs and get pickled drinking beer...

I do like those recipes, though I stud the eggs with a couple of cloves each.

I use apple cider vinegar and much less sugar.

They are great.

We used to go to this dive bar out in the pine barrens. They had the pickled eggs on the bar outside of refrigeration. I ask for and ate one anyway. It was delicious. Then the bartender and some of the patrons began laughing. I ahd to know why and they told me that the eggs were at least 6 months old. "no one actually eats those" said one patron and another said "I thought they were just for decoration" :rolleyes:

Back