So I replaced the gasket on my BGE...

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
BGE CS sent me a "High Heat" replecement gasket for my Lg, how nice of them :thumb: So yesterday I got the old one scraped off, wiped it down really good with alcohol, sprayed the surface with 3M Super 77 and applied the new gasket to the base and lid. Here is where I find a problem...It must be a combination of the placement of the straps, along with the thickness of the gasket material, but there is a gap all along the front when the lid is closed :tsk: So I decide instead of waiting to see if it will settle in and close properly, I just go ahead and remove the gasket from the lid. After all, you really only need a gasket on one surface. So I ask this, when you replaced yours, did you apply to both surfaces?

BBQ Brethren member Smitty The Smoker is a BGE dealer in Santa Clara. (Eggs By The Bay) Perhaps a PM to him would help you get a fast answer.

when I GOT mine from smitty he told me to apply to both and it worked very good <side note > if its sticky its going to be stuck right where it hits the eggs so make sure you have it in the correct spot lol or you will be doing it over

Hopefully it will work fine on one surface, can't see why it will cause a problem. I think the bands are sitting a bit high on the lid/low on the base, so it makes the gap between the base and lid tighter.

It sounds like you need to cook something good on it to find out for sure! :p And to be absolutely sure, some of us local brethren can come over and sample your cook to verify that it is working ok. :wink:

Did you remove the rings while you replaced the gasket? An old member here was en egghead and he posted detailed pictures and instruction on replacing the gasket. ( i was going to post a link, but the pictures have been removed) I replaced mine and removed both rings and the lid and when i re-assembled I place the lid on the bottom and then replaced and tightened the rings and it fit like a charm.

It sounds like you need to cook something good on it to find out for sure! :p And to be absolutely sure, some of us local brethren can come over and sample your cook to verify that it is working ok. :wink:

Anytime :wink:

Did you remove the rings while you replaced the gasket?

No, but I suppose that would have rectified the problem.

Hey Tim, I've been waiting to put mine on until I got to the hardware store for the adhesive. I was thinking I would need to re-align the bands after because of the thickness. This confirms it....although I'm holding onto a little bit of hope it won't be necessary.

Hey Tim, I've been waiting to put mine on until I got to the hardware store for the adhesive. I was thinking I would need to re-align the bands after because of the thickness. This confirms it....although I'm holding onto a little bit of hope it won't be necessary.

Re-alignment is probably necessary, mine wasn't even close. I guess I can take it apart this week and do it right, off work for the rest of the week after tomorrow.

Back