• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade lump Q's

mjs408

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I build myself a lump charcoal maker (wood gassifier) and at the moment made a test batch of hardwood drops from a production cabinet manufacturer in town. It works well, but I want natural wood next batch. I found myself and white oak that Im going to use. What is optimal size? does leaving the bark on make for bad lump? Also whats a 5 gallon bucket of natural lump worth? (Im always looking for side money(baby) Pictures to follow when i find my camera. Also what woods are acceptable or best?

I have always wanted to build a retort myself. Best way to control lump quality IMO.
As far as wood for making lump, any wood you would use in a smoker will do.
Hickory, oak, cherry, apple, birch, beech, maple, pecan, etc...
Best lump I ever used was Maple Leaf, and it was made of birch, beech, and maple.
How much is a 5 gallon bucket of lump worth? Probably a lot more to you than someone who might buy it. How much would it weigh net? A guy can buy lump for about $.60 per pound or less, so you would have to go from there.

that gives me a reference point. We cut/split/burn alot of wood for heat in my family, and people are always asking to buy wood. So maybe they be asking to buy lump

Back