Replacement gasket for Primo XL

smokemonster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on the best gasket replacement for my Primo XL. Melted mine cooking pizzas a couple weeks ago. Been reading about Nomex not adhering properly, and Rutland not being food safe because of fiberglass??? Maybe I should just tell my wife it's going to keep melting unless I buy a Blackstone Pizza Oven :becky:

Primo Grill Forum - Brian sells 14' of Cotronics 397 gasket for around 22 bucks delivered. There is a link for gadgets and gaskets on the forum.

It's pretty amazing across the Naked Whiz and all the various specific ceramic cookers forums how controversial gasket replacemnt can get. I never do super high heat in my Primo and I'm on my third lower gasket in two years the upper gasket is fine replacemnt is a 30/30 job. 30 minutes and 30 bucks for a large BGE gasket. Prep the surface per instructions. I put a really thin layer of HI Heat 500 degree restaurant grade food/water safe RTV 6500. Let it get tacky. Lay the gasket and let it cure for a few days before using cooker. I use my PBC and grate for multiple pizza cooks on the one occasion I did that. Amarillo has several brick oven pizza joints and we prefer theirs over ours :-((

You can see in this picture some of the old RTV6500. It's a smear, not a gunk. It's barely on the edge not over the heat. Whiz says he/she Ok with it cured and in this location. Read the MSDS and make a decision

I'm going to try the Primo site mentioned above next time. Mine don't "burn" out but get really wet from slow smokes.

Last edited:
I went with Rutlands, hasn't killed me yet. I also do my best to avoid cooking the food on the gasket when ever possible.

This is the one I used on my PRIMO, http://amzn.com/B004MNW1TE. Come June it will be one year old and still looks amazing. I made sure the ceramic was clean as much as possible and only used the self adhesive that is applied to the gasket. I have had no loss of adhesion anywhere. I would definitely buy this gasket again.

Here is photo of top gasket- it's the original that came on the cooker. Looks like the HighTemp copper RTV.

Last edited:
Another view

Last edited:
I've done a couple of high heat cooks, 500 - 600 degs with no loss of adhesion. I think if if your base is good and clean you will not have a problem. Go for a couple of low and slow cooks to set the adhesive and then I think you are good to go. If you want I can try a take a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like after almost one year of solid use.

I'm going your Amazon rec next time. Probably order and have it on hand. I do mostly longer smoking baking cooks so I get a lot of moisture on bottom gasket. It's easy prep and change out. Prep and cleaning is utmost importance

Last edited:
Back