• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

This year's turkeys.....

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This year's birds:

Dry brined one (12.5 lb) for 36 hours. Sea salt only (5% by weight).
Wet brined the other (15.6 lb) for 24 hours. Simple brine: salt, sugar, peppercorns.

Both coated inside with Montreal Chicken seasoning & stuffed with halved oranges, lemons, onions and garlic cloves, trussed up, rubbed down with EVOO, chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, sage and garlic, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cooked at 350 for just at 4 hours with cherry wood in the gravity feed.

Turned out great!

image.jpg

They look and sound delicious; would expect nothing less from you! Happy Thanksgiving, Wampus!

5% salt on the dry brine? So over half a pound of salt?

I only ask because I'm looking to try a dry brine and figure out how much salt I'm gonna want to use.

Nice job Wampus.

Excellent looking birds. Much of a difference between the two brining techniques?

Hope you and the whole clan had a great Thanksgiving day.

Both look fantastic Beautiful color Which brine did you like better
Hope you and your family had a real nice day

Outstanding cook! Yes, which bird did you prefer? Wet or wet brined? What cooker did you cook those on...just curious?

Nice job Wampus.

Excellent looking birds. Much of a difference between the two brining techniques?

Hope you and the whole clan had a great Thanksgiving day.

Outstanding cook! Yes, which bird did you prefer? Wet or wet brined? What cooker did you cook those on...just curious?

This was my first try at dry brining so I want to do some more cooks and see, but I can't say I noticed much difference in the two. The dry brine skin did look great but didn't seem much differen than the wet brine after cooking. Mi cook my birds pretty hot so I don't get rubbery skin usually.

It was easier to do, just measure out a few tsp of salt on the bird, rub it in, bag it and done. No messing with mixing the brine and the clean up after.

The family thought that the wet brine seemed to have more flavor deep into the meat. Both were very juicy and tasted great!

I also do like how you can add flavors into the brine like citrus or herbs, whatever. Dry brine is just salt, though these birds did quite well.

Not sure I'm sold on the dry as so much better just yet.

Back