cyberQ vs DigiQ

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Can someone give me the pros and cons of each and which yu would recommend? Which is better?

It's not a matter of which is better, but rather what you want and how to achieve it.

The Digi-Q DX-II is a stand alone pit controller with 1 pit probe and 1 meat probe.

The Cyber-Q is network based pit controller with 1 pit probe and up to e meat probes. The unit will work as a standalone unit once properly set-up.

Some have said the network set-up on the Cyber-Q is challenging for those who have no network knowledge. But once it is set-up you can view/control the unit from anywhere where you have a WAN (Internet) connection.

I thought I wanted a Cyber-Q, but was gifted the Digi-Q II, I used it and found that the unit is so stable that I don't need remote access to make changes.

So it boils down to what you need vs what you want and somewhere in between lies your choice. Good luck and keep us posted on your final choice...

As Madman said they are both good choices. I have the cyberq and love it. It has 3 meat probes where the digiq only has one. The network stuff is complicated but luckily I have a son who is real good with that kind of stuff. I just got my cyberq for Christmas and have used it many times. I have no problem leaving the house and still controlling my Primo. This was a big investment but I love it.

I also have the CyberQ and I have been very happy with it. As Madman said, it all depends on what you want. If you want remote control over your cook then the CyberQ is one of the best options out there. I don't really think setting up the wireless is that complicated. Now if you want remote access from outside your wireless network, you get into port forwarding on your computer and modem, then it gets fairly complicated. But for normal wireless network connection it's not that bad.

So you actually need a wifi connection to use it. This won't be good for comps but for home it would be fine. If that's the case, I can just go with the digiQ. Gonna use it at comps and would have phone signals but probably not wifi. Can you confirm this?

So you actually need a wifi connection to use it. This won't be good for comps but for home it would be fine. If that's the case, I can just go with the digiQ. Gonna use it at comps and would have phone signals but probably not wifi. Can you confirm this?

It works fine at comps. It supports ad hoc mode which allows you to connect directly to the CyberQ from your phone or tablet or PC.

So it will work over LTE or 3G...as long as I have internet connection.

No, ad hoc mode means that it connects over the wifi radio spectrum directly to your phone or tablet. Normally it would connect to a wireless router and then your phone which is also connected to that router can communicate with it.

Eh...I broke down and just ordered a DigiQ. Didn't feel like fooling with the wifi stuff. According to the posts that I have seen, the digiQ is amazing and will work just fine for what I need.

Specific question.... CyberQ

I leave home and am in my patrol car with a wifi hot spot... Have wifi router at my home.

How difficult is it to setup the CyberQ for remote access to my phone via my home router and my hot spot in the car for control when away from home?

I'm on the fence too, but with 3 meat probes and wifi for only $100 more, it's seems like it might be worth trying to learn it.

Eh...I broke down and just ordered a DigiQ. Didn't feel like fooling with the wifi stuff. According to the posts that I have seen, the digiQ is amazing and will work just fine for what I need.

I'm with you......

I'm a gadget freak and I wanted a Cyber-Q, but was gifted a Digi-Q, I figured I'd use the Digi-Q and sell it off after I got a Cyber-Q in a couple months and no one would know the difference.

The problem is that the Digi-Q worked so well I had no need to upgrade to a Cyber-Q. The Digi-Q holds temperatures unbelievably accurate that it is like having someone babysit the smoker for you.

I've cooked enough that I know approximate cooking times, and I don't cook meat by internal temperature and I always allow for a hold in in an insulated cooler. So my schedule is easy....
Start the smoker Friday Night, put the pork butts in the cooker when up to temperature, and go to sleep. Saturday morning I get up, enjoy breakfast, shave, and take a shower and somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00 the bone begins to wiggle, when they start to drop in temperature, put them in the cooler until ready to pull and serve.

Doesn't get any simpler than that, and at comps it would even be simpler as you are there within eyesight of the Digi-Q.

I set up my CyberQ remote in a different way. Rather than opening the router to access the CyberQ directly, I use the Chrome Remote Desktop extension to connect to my PC at home that is also running Chrome Remote Desktop as the "receiver.". On the home PC, I keep a browser open that controls the CyberQ over the local wifi network. I can then make adjustments on the home PC that control the CyberQ.
In this manner, I have the added security of not exposing any ports on the router and the Google Chrome Remote Desktop is a pretty secure way of connecting to a remote PC using a phone or computer at the office or on the go.
I don't doubt the web security of a password-protected CyberQ against casual hackers, but if you look at the http://shodan.io website, you'll see that not many low-end devices are secure.

Specific question.... CyberQ

I leave home and am in my patrol car with a wifi hot spot... Have wifi router at my home.

How difficult is it to setup the CyberQ for remote access to my phone via my home router and my hot spot in the car for control when away from home?

I'm on the fence too, but with 3 meat probes and wifi for only $100 more, it's seems like it might be worth trying to learn it.

It's not that difficult but it does require some computer knowledge. You have to set your modem up for port forwarding, so it can send the specific requests from outside your home network directly to the CyberQ. There are directions included and the BBQ GURU guys will help you get it setup.

Back